Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, I cooked my B&M 174..............

Badburn
    ......Just like a few guys on here said I would. Dammit! What I can't figure out is- what was the original cause of this failure. On our 85 mi trek on saturday, the snout seal came out and all the oil went into the bilge. The bore that the seal presses into is wiped out, like when a bearing spins in its bore. The bearing behind the seal is a sealed type bearing and appears to be fine and in place. The gears in the blower are worn and blued from running without oil, and I cant get the rotors to press out of the rotor bearings. I think it's a total loss. I'd like to find an explanation for this failure, Anyone have any simmilar experiences with these blowers?
    Anyone have a spare one for sale? :cry:
    23.5 Carrera
    515 cid BBC

ghittner
    Yup, I've got a completely gone through 177 merc s/c W/standard deck manifold. I ran a B&M 420 instead. I've got the 10 rib pulleys and a belt as well. Also an 1150 dominator. Ready to go. I'm in Mission Viejo, CA. P.M. me if interested. Greg

Jim W
    Badburn,
    I have a brand new B&M 420 that I would sell. Complete kit that I never used.
    Also have a pair of really nice blower carbs that are used but just redone by I think the carb shop.
    Let me know if you are interested.
    Be good, Jim

SUI-CY-COLE
    badburn i remember your car...can you not go wrong with a standard 6-71?

Badburn
    I know the big blower is the answer, but I have one problem, the engine in this boat is under the back seat. The 174 fits under there with about an inch to spare, the only other option is to make half of the backseat into a doghouse for the blower or move the back seat forward about 2 feet. Either of these options will destroy the functionality of the boat. (and it probably still wouldn't be fast)
    Thats why I want feedback on the little blowers, maybe I can figure out how to make it work and last a while too. Mercruiser put these things on for a while from the factory, can they really be that bad??? :rollside:

Dominator Scott
    I know the big blower is the answer, but I have one problem, the engine in this boat is under the back seat. The 174 fits under there with about an inch to spare, the only other option is to make half of the backseat into a doghouse for the blower or move the back seat forward about 2 feet. Either of these options will destroy the functionality of the boat. (and it probably still wouldn't be fast)
    Thats why I want feedback on the little blowers, maybe I can figure out how to make it work and last a while too. Mercruiser put these things on for a while from the factory, can they really be that bad??? :rollside:
    BadBurn, I am running the Weiand 177 series blowers on my 32 Sunsation and couldn't be happier with their performance. I just had them completely gone through by a shop here in Michigan" Darren Mayer Performance Engineering and he did a fantastic job on them and was considerably less than everyone else including The Blower Shop.
    If you would like his number let me know and I will get you taken care of through him. He is great to deal with, and is the designer of the Kobelco Superman Blower.

acatitude
    hell you got lots of room in that boat cut out the center of that damn back seat put the 6-71 in there and blast off...... as long as theres room for me and a cooler... ok move the back seat up.... ill buy a smaller cooler well that might really suck, less booze....... but wait the boat will be faster and get to the next bar quicker so the smaller cooler will work...... ok go for it

Schiada76
    Call Magnuson in Camarillo, the new Eaton's they sell are putting out some great #'s.

Daytona100
    I have a complete weiand 177 setup with extra pulleys 6 rib and 10 rib set-up for sale 1600.00 obo. Call if interested 1-909-239-6240 or pm me. Mike

EXTREMEBOATS
    :cry: I run a 174 Holley on my 85 GMC Dulley. Im at 65,000 miles and have replaced the input shaft and coupler twice. They stoped hardening the shaft when they bought out B&M. I have put three more 174's one big blocks in boats and never had a seal shit. Maybe it was built on Monday??? :crossx:
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast