Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manufactures - Are these good/bad?

Cole Sanger
    I am looking at a winter project. I have been out of the audio stuff for a while, and never really into boat audio. I am looking for some advise. I just started really looking at what I want to do with the system tonight. I am set on 4 to 8 10" subs, amps to push them with built in crossovers, probably a couple of caps (depending on the advise), a nice head unit that has mp3/wma. I have 4 5.25" Polk db525's and 4 6.5" Polk db 650's currently installed in the boat.
    There are a few companies on this website (http://www.woofersetc.com) that I have never heard of:
    1. Volfenhag
    2. CDT Audio
    3. Kole Audio - Caps
    Are they any good? The prices look fairly good, from what I remember prices being a few years ago.
    Also, are these companies any good? I have heard of them, but don't know anything about them:
    1. MB Quart - Subwoofers
    2. Phoenix Gold
    3. Audiobahn
    4. Lightning Audio - Subwoofers
    If you want me to post the exact products from these manufactures that I am looking at, I can. Just let me know. Thanks for any input/advise.

riverbound
    Of all the manufacturers you listed, only 2 of them are any good.
    MB Quart
    Phoenix Gold (depending on which line, some of their stuff is junk)

Dub C
    if you're in phoenix, it's a car audio metropolis. Rockford, fusion (marine), mtx and many other manufacturers there.

Run_em_Hard
    I am a fan of Audiobahn. I have owned quite a bit of thier stuff and I would recommend them. They are really good for the price. I would recommend Fosgate also. Fosgate is a little more, ok alot more but if you have the cash...

Cheap Thrills
    1. Volfenhag ~ I see alot of this stuff at the flea market and pawn shops around here. good looking and inexpensive. as far as how it sounds I couldn't say.
    2. CDT Audio ... don't know about this one.
    3. Kole Audio - Caps ~ Caps are like peanut butter sandwiches hard to make a bad one and are a waste of money in my book. The first stages in an amplifier are diodes (voltage rectification) and Capicitors ( Voltage stabilization and filtering ) along with the regulators and transformer.
    If youre having trouble feeding a monster amp buy a bigger battery.
    (flame suit on)
    1. MB Quart - Subwoofers ~ Nothing but good things to say about MB.
    2. Phoenix Gold ~ Another one popular with the local flea market vendors.
    3. Audiobahn ~ I have heard these good bang for the buck.
    4. Lightning Audio - Subwoofers ~ A friend of mine bought a couple of these at walmart . Not the most effecient things in the world but ok for the money.
    Most of what you listed are low priced low end equiptment and are generally a good bang for the buck. With the exception of MB Quart which is a step or two up on the ladder.
    I have installed several sets of MBs and have nothing but good things to say about them.
    I've been wanting to get a set of Volfenhag subs just to abuse. they look nice and are packaged and presented well . The cast frames and massive magnet structures are impressive. The low price makes them that much more tempting.
    Rock On !
    C.T. :wink:

Cole Sanger
    Thanks for the advise. That is what I was looking for. I have been doing some more research the last few nights. Your right about the appearance of the Volfenhag. That's what interested me in them. I hoped that they were good due to that and the low price. As far as the cap's, that shows how long ago I was into stereo's. They were real propular 6+ years ago. I remember back then, MB Quart didn't really have subwoofers from what I remember, or they were just real expensive. Can't really remember that far back.
    So I am still looking for advise on what I should be looking at. I gave some examples. Does anyone have any other examples of what I should be looking at? Best bang for the buck? Possibly some websites with good prices? Thanks again.

Cheap Thrills
    There is alot of low priced automotive audio stuff out there. The main thing is to buy the best you can afford. like the old saying goes, You get what you pay for. Just keep a few things in mind.
    The advertised power rating is rarely ever what you get especially with the low end budget equiptment that 1000 watt amp you get for a hundred bucks will more than likely only give you 100 watts of clean power if youre lucky.
    There are several brand name manufacturers that make quality entry level equiptment like, Alpine, Kenwood, JBL, just to name a few. whatch out for the knock offs posing as brand name units too. I saw Alfine and Rockwood that looked almost exactly like the brand name stuff even the packaging was close. Also stay away from speakers with foam surrounds they tend to rot in a year or two esp. in an enviroment as harsh as a car or even worse a boat.
    Rubber surrounds on the speakers will last for years. Paper cones are great for home audio but if installed where heat and direct sunlight are cooking them they will become brittle. Poly, Kevlar, alum, graphite injected paper, are all quite durable.
    Brands I would try to avoid are. Pyrimid, Boss, Legacy,Pyle. I dont know what happend to Pyle they used to make some jammin gear but not anymore. I have had a Pyrimid amp(PB300) and a Boss900w 5ch. both were cheesy. if they still made Kraco, SparkOmatic,and Kraig I would bad mouth them too but they've been dead long ago.
    I can't say what cheap brands to look for without fear of opening myself up for a flame war and you have about covered them in your first post with the exception of Jensen good bang for the buck as far as speakers go. Am I rambling yet ? I'm tired of typing.
    Have Fun
    Rock On
    C.T. :wink:

BadKachina
    Honestly and not because I sell it, but the JL Audio stuff has never dissapointed me. On the other hand, I run Fosgate Power amps, Focal and Diamond Audio mids and an Alpine head unit in my personal boat. I'm running 4 Apline subs but this winter I'll switch over to two JL 13w7's(being a dealer has it's perks). I've had real good success with all those brands. You get what you pay for in audio equipment. I would buy good stuff, start with a good head unit and some good compents and add amps and subs as you can afford them. Don't waste your money and time buying stuff that you won't be happy with down the road. IMO you don't really need 8 mids and 8 subs, 4 components and a couple of good subs in an average sized boat (like the one in your avatar) will be plenty loud if it's done right. Two high quality amps, two or three good batteries (there are always debates about which batteries are better than others) and the system should be dependable and sound very nice.

Jesster
    Ask Shockwavebob about the CDT stuff, I think he put 4 pairs on his boat as mids. If you find the thread titled Warlock Diablo buildup it shows them, and from the look of his install I don't think anything went into it that was less than very good. Here is a link to page 4 with some CDT stuff CDT (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...&highlight=cdt) again I have not heard them so ask SWB. I have 2 Phoenix Gold 12 subs and a PG amp to drive them and am very happy with the sound. But as stated earlier get the upper end stuff, Xenon line, or IMHO its not very good.

T-56
    I was recently in the same situation. Used to big into 12V audio but got away from it for a while. When I started getting back into it, I was lost.
    I started buying vintage "old school" stuff off of eBay. That way I could be lazy and not learn my way around the new stuff.
    It is amazing how much good chit gets sold on there. I've been snagging old SoundStream amps left and right for a song. Bought a Stroker 18 for a couple hundred bucks NIB.
    The stuff is still out there but if you buy enough of it, you will get screwed eventually.
    I'm way over due....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast