This should be the place to duke it out, if we must.
I think it's a good idea to quit posting under Jack Weller's thread, because we were sending the WRONG message.
I understand that he planned an event without us, and on the date we usually come, but I also understand that he was of the impression that many of us would not be coming. I, for one, certainly do NOT want his lasting impression of our group to be one of a bunch of braying jackasses. (I'm including myself in that description, so don't complain!)
I don't think, at the heart of the matter, that the BOTE/FEAST event is the problem.
I've stated before that MY wish for our group is to promote the importance of the comraderie and the boats. That's what pulled me in that first year. The unconditional acceptance of good people. (And admiration for the incredibly sexy boats they bring with them.)
Yes, I've heard rumors circulating among our group. Some refer to money issues, some to politics. Since I have no direct experience with the matters being discussed, I refuse to speculate. What I learned to be true is this:
If one of us falls, will the others stop to help him? Yes.
If his boat quits running, will 30 other guys stay behind to see it fixed? Yes.
If the unthinkable happens, will we rally around those left behind? Yes.
Deep down, does the answer to any of these questions change, because a difference of opinion? It shouldn't.
I'm just one person. And I'm not a 'founding member'. I don't have a membership card, and I don't know the secret handshake. But I do think of ya'll as family, and I want to make sure that when the dust settles, we can still be friends...