Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tragedy and Comedy at the Sand Dunes w/pix:

Trailer Park Casanova
    We left for Dumont Sand Dunes kids Halloween trip this past Thursday nite.
    One of our group came across a kid on a new Raptor that went straight over a dune and stuffed a Witch eye and creamed himself and his new special edition deluxe.
    Kid was pretty hurt.
    They went and got the LEOS that were just unloading the rescue dune buggy, and took one of the rangers back with him, and the other rangers followed a few minutes later.
    Life flite out to Las Vegas.
    BLM is building a concrete helipad with money raised from user fees BTW.
    Then next morning were all out drinking coffee, a motorized hang glider flew over us heading east, and one of the people in the group said he should have passed back over by now.
    Then, a few minutes later, we heard the sirens,,, and word came that the pilot center punched a dune near the North Pole,, fatally.
    Usually our trips are very uneventfull.
    The next day, our group came upon a fatal accident where a Long travel car went over a razor and landed upside down crushing the roll cage,, killing both occupants.
    A sad, sad scene. An eye opener how easy it if you're not cautious.
    Our hearts were really hanging heavy. We felt so bad for the families.
    Preventable.
    The early take from all the salts is perhaps the driver let off the gas just before launch.
    Dumont Dunes are technical Dunes, and in a situation like encountering a razor - horsepower is your friend, ya launch full throttle so the ass end will land first.
    It's different than Glamis, expect every edge, every bowl to be razors, be prepaired to pour on the ponies when in trouble.
    Your first reaction is to hit the brakes.
    Never cross over a razorback, or traverse a witcheye. But be prepaired if you encounter one and it catches you napping.
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...umont06036.jpg
    They came over the back side of this razorback, perhaps let off the gas,, and the nose hit first, flipping the sand car onto the rollbars, crushing them.
    ------------------------ Part II
    Tonapah and Tidelands railway run:
    6 year old Maynard and I took a trip over the old Tonapah and Tidelands railway route. A teriffic Rhino Run:
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...umont06027.jpg
    Maynard lands a huge jump on his mighty z50.
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...umont06023.jpg
    Looking up at the railway bed that we travel on, we bypassed where the trestle was washed out. Gotta watch for these.
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ont06022-1.jpg
    Gap throught the pass where the former Tidelands RR ran.
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...umont06019.jpg
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...umont06018.jpg
    Camera started to act up so I couldnt get any Comp hill at nite pix, but it was Rhino city, everyone having a teriffic time. Zillions of Rhinos.
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...umont06029.jpg
    Kids made sand pumpkins before dressing up after dark and trick or treating around the campsites.
    They all loved it.

Havasu Luvr
    Hey TPC,
    that railroad is the Old T&T railroad (Tonopah/Tidewater RailRoad), it was started on 1905 and completed in 1907. This part of history is something I have researched over the years. You should also check out the Mojave Trail. Awesome trail from Fort Mohave to Camp Cady (Approx 137miles) Great part of history with plenty of sites to visit. I took a family of 12 (4 vehicles) on a 3 day trek on this trail 10 years ago and I passed out handhelds and narrated the history of the whole trail.... They called me Wagonmaster/Chuckwagon....lol
    Here is the site if you want to learn more about the T&T Railraod. Let the peeps at your camp think your a local history buff...lol
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonopah...water_Railroad
    I had a group headed out this past weekend and as of 10pm last night still had NOT returned. No answers on the phone this morning either....Hmmmmm?

Flyinbowtie
    We only saw the chopper once at Sand Mountain over the weekend of the 20th. Felt pretty good about that.
    This is a shame.
    The accidents these days seem even more violent than in the past. Not to be critical or judgemental of anybody anywhere, but I think perhaps the increased ability of the vehicles out there hasn't been matched by an overall increase in the skill level and technical competency of the average driver.
    Gonna get back to Dumont one of these days.
    Looks like your family is having a good time TPC. Hope things are going well.

Trailer Park Casanova
    Hey TPC,
    that railroad is the Old T&T railroad (Tonopah/Tidewater RailRoad), it was started on 1905 and completed in 1907. This part of history is something I have researched over the years. You should also check out the Mojave Trail. Awesome trail from Fort Mohave to Camp Cady (Approx 137miles) Great part of history with plenty of sites to visit. I took a family of 12 (4 vehicles) on a 3 day trek on this trail 10 years ago and I passed out handhelds and narrated the history of the whole trail.... They called me Wagonmaster/Chuckwagon....lol
    Here is the site if you want to learn more about the T&T Railraod. Let the peeps at your camp think your a local history buff...lol
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonopah...water_Railroad
    I had a group headed out this past weekend and as of 10pm last night still had NOT returned. No answers on the phone this morning either....Hmmmmm?
    Did you make it as far as the big bridge/trestle? It's still intact.
    Time for a HB Rhino safari.
    Nite time run would be cool too.
    We've been fighting off the enviros.
    They're suing furiously to get it all closed.

Trailer Park Casanova
    We only saw the chopper once at Sand Mountain over the weekend of the 20th. Felt pretty good about that.
    This is a shame.
    The accidents these days seem even more violent than in the past. Not to be critical or judgemental of anybody anywhere, but I think perhaps the increased ability of the vehicles out there hasn't been matched by an overall increase in the skill level and technical competency of the average driver.
    Gonna get back to Dumont one of these days.
    Looks like your family is having a good time TPC. Hope things are going well.
    Yeah FBT, it's really changed. Several more bad accidents happened over the weekend.
    We were all trying to figure out why all the sudden?
    Used to be very rare.

Havasu Luvr
    Did you make it as far as the big bridge/trestle? It's still intact.
    Not yet, we've concentrated mostly between Baker & Ludlow. Virtually untouch and a few RR camps and digging, old bobypins and such. There is still a section with the RR ties still in place and peices of the coal laying around
    We'll be out on "T" Day, smok'n a turkey and kicking back. You going to be out that day?

Tremor Therapy
    I think its actually pretty easy to see why all the accidents are happening, and it is a twofold problem. Back in the day, my Suzuki 250 quad racer and the Honda 250 4trax were the bad ass bikes, but without some major modifications, you would only be able to sustain 25-45 mph through rolling, traversing terrain. There were still a lot of accidents, but I can only recall a hand full of fatalities in the 15 years I spent in the desert.
    Now the average quad is what, 400-650cc's, and the horsepower is what, 3x what my Suzuki had? Things happened fast at 40 mph in the dunes, I can't imagine how fast it happens when you are on a bigger, heavier, faster bike! We used to make fun of all the "Barney's" that had new Banshee's and were always plowing into trouble.....but I just can't imagine how fast things happen with these bigger bikes.
    The second problem is the people. I am not trying to generalize as I had not been to the dunes in about 10 years, but the amount of people on any given weekend has to be 10 fold. Not only are there more people out there, but there definately seemed to be a greater number of inconsiderate A'holes! Sorry folks, but it seems like the "Raider nation" mentality has hit the desert in a big way! Out of control drinking, staying up and out all night riding like fools, and doing it all on equipment that is light years faster that what I had 20 years ago.
    I still have my bike, and I still go to the desert occassionally, but it will never be on the weekends, nor will it ever be at the popular spots. My kids are now old enough to ride, and they have been pestering me for the past few years about riding, but based on what I have experienced the past few times out. I think I'll pass. But I am glad you still enjoy yourself TPC!

Flyinbowtie
    Tremor;
    I think alot of what you say is, sadly, true.
    I've been at it over 25 years. I don't dune hard anymore because of back problems, although we still go. From what I see the focus is no longer as tightly on, "Let's Ride", as it is other distractions.
    There are still families and groups who ride all day and sit around the campfie at night, and start again at daybreak, but the demographic has certainly changed, which is a big part of the answer to TPC's question, why more/worse wrecks.
    I don't really blame the machines, or point the finger at the improved tech.
    I think people buy the biggest, baddest they can finance, instead of starting with something they can handle. Ego forces the Banshee upon some guy who's skills would be max'ed out on a 400ex.There is no learning curve; no moving up as skills improve, frankly, for many of the folks you speak of, their has been no more guidance or education into the nuances of the sport for them than there has about life in general.

dirty old man
    I read the tradegy but where the comedy?

phebus
    I think the problem is that as the crowds have increased 2X, 4X, 8X, the increased crowds have had an exponential incresae in the accidents. What was safe five years ago became unsafe due to the crowds, and you just can't blindly charge up and down hills anymore, without the risk of meeting someone on the other side.
    That, and with the extreme sports mentality, without the extreme sports ability, just set the stage for disaster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast