Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal with a droop snoot?

MikeF
    Good on ya Duane! Last thing anyone needs are bad parts.

LGCDEVIL
    How long will the rubbert band thing last? What about the powder coating idea?
    The droop I had to do this on was pretty wore out. The rubber bands would last 5-10 days on the water. Another fix I had to do was to drill and tap the tabs on the nozzle where the steering arm mount that act as a steering stop. Drill, tap, and install #8 X 1/2" allen head bolts. Leave the bolts out enough so the nozzle won't turn far enough to let the o-ring come outside of the droop. I'll try to post a pic cause I just read this and can't understand what the F I'm talking about.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    It could just be the machining off a little then. That is a real hard part to hold machine tolerances on. I changed machine shops here a while back on my Snoots. I sent the first one of the new batch to Steelcomp. That is the one he called a POS, and he was right. It was. I gave him his money back, and I had to trash 20 new Snoots because of it. I have taken Duct tape or Gorilla Tape, cut it the width of the O-Ring groove and wound two or three rounds on the nozzle, (under the O-Ring), and that seems to hold for quite a while. Good Luck!
    Thats why I respect Duane!!! He doesnt hide behind anything! He is a man of his word
    Duane, are you comming to firebird for the finals? If so I would like to meet you in person

Nucking futs
    I have seen a few people put jb weld on the worn part of the droop and sand untill they were happy with the tolerances and it cured the leaking problem by the O ring. Its onlt a few bucks to try.....

The droop I had to do this on was pretty wore out. The rubber bands would last 5-10 days on the water. Another fix I had to do was to drill and tap the tabs on the nozzle where the steering arm mount that act as a steering stop. Drill, tap, and install #8 X 1/2" allen head bolts. Leave the bolts out enough so the nozzle won't turn far enough to let the o-ring come outside of the droop. I'll try to post a pic cause I just read this and can't understand what the F I'm talking about.
    This is what I did with my old jetovator. Is this similar to what you're talking about?
    This would probably have to be adapted for your hardware, but it worked in my case. Never blew out another o ring and this jetovator was pretty old (loose clearances).
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/files/sidestop1t.jpg
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/files/sidestop2t.jpg

Dominator Scott
    I think I am going to try the powder coating trick and see if it cures the problem. I am done running it for the season now so I have all winter to get it done.
    I have a friend that started his own powdercoat business and he just did some other parts for me,so I will just drop this thing off so he can get it handled.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I have seen a few people put jb weld on the worn part of the droop and sand untill they were happy with the tolerances and it cured the leaking problem by the O ring. Its onlt a few bucks to try.....
    Thats a good idea futs!!! i may have to try that

Duane HTP
    No, I'm not going to be able to make it this year. This will be only the third time I've missed it since the day it started. But, I just got too many things going at once this year. I'll miss it.

Rondane
    Thats why I respect Duane!!! He doesnt hide behind anything! He is a man of his word
    I always remember reading duane prides himself on personally checking all his parts BEFORE they go out the door.......wonder what the other 19 customers had to say? Hey 396 how did it work on your boat?
    rondane

Duane HTP
    Again Rogaine, you did not read what I said. The other 19 were trashed. They were never sent. Pay ATTENTION here!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast