Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Early Termination Fees ??

THATJEFFGUY
    OK so a few months ago, I do my sister-in-law (wifes sister) a favor and get her a phone and add it to my Verizon bill because she can't get her own account without a huge deposit. She has a decent job and promised to pay me every month. The first few months went great..no problems in getting my money for her bill. Well then she starts being her irresponsible self again and blowing all her money (probably on weed) and has no money to pay her cell phone bill for the last 2 months. So Friday I finally just turned it off temporarily, so not to run the bill up any higher than it already is ($300). I have several months left on the contract, but I want to turn the phone off for good. Is there any way to get out of the early termintion fee ($150) because I know I'll never get that outta her if she can't even pay the current $300. There's gotta be way to get around those fees ! Just goes to show you..every time I try to NOT be an asshole and help someone out, I get screwed..somehow, some way, and family members are the worst ! Ok I'll stop ranting now

LHC Kirby
    I have heard of only one way to get out of those fee's - you have to be moving where the company has no contracts (good luck with Verizon - they seem to have a contract every where). You did the first smart move by shutting it off - now simple math 300 a month for several months (#?) or HALF that amount and you are DONE with it . . . .sounds like an easy decision.
    There is ONE way :idea: - but, she might not qualify for it. She can break off onto her own account and from yours .. . . this worked for me with my kids . . . call Verizon and ask them . . unless you think they never deal with this on a regular basis

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    Maybe ask if you extend the contracts on the other phones on the account, maybe they will waive the one you are cancelling??? Worst they can say is no.

Tom Brown
    OK so a few months ago, I do my sister-in-law (wifes sister) a favor ....
    Set up a threesome with your wife and sister in law in exchange for turning her phone back on.

THATJEFFGUY
    I have heard of only one way to get out of those fee's - you have to be moving where the company has no contracts (good luck with Verizon - they seem to have a contract every where). You did the first smart move by shutting it off - now simple math 300 a month for several months (#?) or HALF that amount and you are DONE with it . . . .sounds like an easy decision.
    There is ONE way :idea: - but, she might not qualify for it. She can break off onto her own account and from yours .. . . this worked for me with my kids . . . call Verizon and ask them . . unless you think they never deal with this on a regular basis
    I called Verizon and they didn't wanna seem to budge with the contract at all. I couldn't even get thru to talk to a Supervisor about it !
    Set up a threesome with your wife and sister in law in exchange for turning her phone back on.
    I would go that route...but the bitch is ugly as hell..and my wife hates her too !

Mandelon
    No good deed goes unpunished. Next time keep your yapper shut and don't offer to be so nice. Don't expect people to be something they are not.
    Good Luck. Find a service rep who can get things done, not a yahoo on the phone. You should have an account manager/sales rep. If you reup the other ones or buy some accessories they can waive that stuff, just make them think you will be spending more money...

Biglue
    I've wondered about this myself. I have Nextel and they have been sucking beyond belief lately. F'n 2 ways get seized up, dropped calls like you can't imagine and a weak signal just about everywhere I go. I've had enough, but I can't justify the $600 its going to take to terminate the three phones on my account. :220v:
    Oh and Nextel doesn't tie you into a 1 year service agreement but 2 years.

voodoomedman
    I hope you can follow me here.
    What you need to do is have someone take over ownership of the account. Instead of someone opening a new account they take yours over, phone and all and then you don't pay the cancellation fees. I transferred my AT&T phones this way when I went to NexTel (which now sucks by the way and I switched to Verizon).
    Anyways, when that new person takes over the account it makes it like a new account since they are a new customer. They legally have the right to cancel the account without any early termination fees within the first 14 days. It's not your account anymore so you are not responsible.
    Hope that made sense.
    So basically have your wife or brother or dad or somebody just take over ownership of the phone (without letting Verizon know of your intentions) and then after 7 days just call and say the service sucks and cancel. It will only cost whatever airtime was used within those 7 days.

Howie Feltersnatch
    Now you know why she could'nt get her own phone.

Richie Rich
    I seem to remember reading in some periodical, either Men's health or Hot Boat, that there are companies that will actually buy your cell contract or help you to set up a sub-lease agreement with another private party. I want to say this is the company's web address that was listed in the article but please don't quote me on any of this: www.celltradeusa.com . I have no idea how it works but I did store the info away in the back of my mind because I change cell phone equipment alot and that sometimes means I have to change my carrier.
    Good luck....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast