Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Static Electricity

OverKill
    I was considering putting steal lines on with my hydraulic place diverter. I talked to Phil Bergeron AKA my boat guy. He tells me they only make the lines from the outside of the boat to the Hydraulic arm. I asked why can't I run the lines all the way from the hydraulic pump to the arm. I was told this causes STATIC ELECTRICITY and could start a fire. Does anybody have a setup with the steal lines going all the way through, or must I use the cheesey black lines that came with the pump.

superdave013
    that's news to me. I make them all the time for diverters.
    You can also buy them from who ever sells Placediverter stuff. They sell the lower buck set up with braided on the outside and keeps your plastic on the inside. Or the more $$ kit that's all braided.
    Mine's the same except I'll make the hoses any length you want.

DelawareDave
    Any moving fluid can create static electricity. But rather than a rigid line going to the cylinders, I would suggest any type of flexible hydraulic hose, that can handle the pressure, since the cylinders have some movement.

OverKill
    I thought that sounded kinda ODD. Thanks for the info. I will take some measurements and give you a call. I think its about 6 to 7 feet, does you kit have all the fittings to.

superdave013
    yup, even the extra long -4 to 1/8" 90 you'll need.
    If you are worried about static just ground the bulkheads and you should be set.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    If you are worried about static just ground the bulkheads and you should be set.
    dave is the man when it comes to fittings

Taylorman
    You mean you have a fitting to replace the pos brass crap that i had to use to extend my 90 to clear the other one on the pump?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I was considering putting steal lines on with my hydraulic place diverter. I talked to Phil Bergeron AKA my boat guy. He tells me they only make the lines from the outside of the boat to the Hydraulic arm. I asked why can't I run the lines all the way from the hydraulic pump to the arm. I was told this causes STATIC ELECTRICITY and could start a fire. Does anybody have a setup with the steal lines going all the way through, or must I use the cheesey black lines that came with the pump.
    Are you refering to stainless steel braided lines or hard lines? If your refering to steel braided then I know alot of peeps that have them.

superdave013
    You mean you have a fitting to replace the pos brass crap that i had to use to extend my 90 to clear the other one on the pump?
    yup, extended 90 in polished 304 stainless.

superdave013
    Any moving fluid can create static electricity. But rather than a rigid line going to the cylinders, I would suggest any type of flexible hydraulic hose, that can handle the pressure, since the cylinders have some movement.
    It will only create static if the hose or tube is not conductive. Normal teflon is not conductive so it could happen. It could happen in fuel lines too. Now the outter braid is conductive and the fluid will come in contact with the bulkheads. So I'd think a guy could ground the bulkheads and not worry about it. Also you can get teflon braided hose that is conductive. The teflon will be black in color instead of white. I don't know what's in it but it's inpregnated with some type of conductor.
    On hot dry days pouring fuel out of some plastic jugs and get fun. I had some that would snap and spark between the filler neck and alum gas tank. Needless to say I junked those jugs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast