Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V drive question

rrrr
    My v drive had a cute little flip top lube filler. It allowed gear oil to leak out all over the boat, so I have replaced it with a 3/8" pipe plug. Is this gonna work OK? I don't know if the drive has to be vented.

126driver
    The drive should be vented. Are you sure you're not overfilling the oil?

If the v-drive isn't vented it will puke oil out of one of the seals. Happen to me, input shaft seal folded out and leaked Redline all over everything.

rrrr
    It has a 10-24 allen head plug at the correct level, but it drips out so slow I might have it overfilled. Definitely overfilled it the first time out, the clues were easy to read LOL. I'll put the flipper back in and check the level again.
    Just one of those things I just have to learn about, this boat is a very different duck from any other floating toys I have owned. Thanks, you old curmudgeon flattie fliers.

126driver
    rrrr:
    Thanks, you old curmudgeon flattie fliers. I think he's talking to you Bob. wink

Sangster
    cur·mudg·eon n. An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions. –cur·mudgeon·ly adj. –cur·mudgeon·ry n. eek! eek! eek! eek! eek!

126driver
    Sangster:
    cur·mudg·eon n. An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions. –cur·mudgeon·ly adj. –cur·mudgeon·ry n. eek! eek! eek! eek! eek! Yeah, that sounds about right!

voodooCanoe
    rrrr - Be sure you are only filling to the lower
    plug level. The upper plug is for filling.

Stab-n-Steer
    058:
    If the v-drive isn't vented it will puke oil out of one of the seals. Happen to me, input shaft seal folded out and leaked Redline all over everything. At least Redline smells better than good 'ol 90W... Before Redline my boat smelled like a parking lot outside a biker bar...
    S&S

rrrr
    voodooCanoe:
    rrrr - Be sure you are only filling to the lower
    plug level. The upper plug is for filling. Yep, it has that little 10-24 plug at the fill level. I'm almost too stupid and old to learn, but after wiping up lots of gear oil I have figured out how to fill it correctly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast