Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: "Long Travel Rhino" report...

Froggystyle
    OK.. another couple of pictures out in the dirt this time. There were a couple of real washboarded up/rutted roads we were just flying down and couldn't feel the ripples at all. Really well designed system. I am trying to screen-capture some of the hairier moments from the video, but will have that done later today.
    This is without a doubt the most capable off-road vehicle I have ever driven. It dusts my old Jeeps, Scouts, quads, mountain bikes etc... It feels a little light in some really crazy rock-crawling, the articulation could be a little better for real off-camber stuff, but I have 500# springs in the rear, and that can't be helping matters.
    All in all, it is twice as much fun as I was thinking it was going to be, still right around what two of the 700 Raptor quads was going to cost and insanely cool looking.
    Two thumbs up on the Rhino program. I see what all the fuss is about!
    PS... everyone was right... the seats made a world of difference. Tough to describe what a great purchase they were...
    http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_...2/DSC06145.JPG
    More pics at http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_...ehicles/Rhino/

Cole Trickle
    OK.. another couple of pictures out in the dirt this time. There were a couple of real washboarded up/rutted roads we were just flying down and couldn't feel the ripples at all. Really well designed system. I am trying to screen-capture some of the hairier moments from the video, but will have that done later today.
    This is without a doubt the most capable off-road vehicle I have ever driven. It dusts my old Jeeps, Scouts, quads, mountain bikes etc... It feels a little light in some really crazy rock-crawling, the articulation could be a little better for real off-camber stuff, but I have 500# springs in the rear, and that can't be helping matters.
    All in all, it is twice as much fun as I was thinking it was going to be, still right around what two of the 700 Raptor quads was going to cost and insanely cool looking.
    Two thumbs up on the Rhino program. I see what all the fuss is about!
    PS... everyone was right... the seats made a world of difference. Tough to describe what a great purchase they were...
    http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_...2/DSC06145.JPG
    More pics at http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_...ehicles/Rhino/
    Looks great!!!
    Way Way over the top......I think the BFG's and led lights were a nice touch.

djunkie
    Looks great!!!
    I really like the lights too. I wouldn't mind checking those out some time.
    Hey Wes, any more thought into this? http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132062

Froggystyle
    I really like the lights too. I wouldn't mind checking those out some time.
    Hey Wes, any more thought into this? http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132062
    Yeah, I am looking into it. I figure if we actually get it going this place will be on fire over it. The people on here are much like the industry in general... they don't really get too excited about anything unless someone else is doing it and making it work.

Froggystyle
    Looks great!!!
    Over the top, yes... but all for functionality. This is a very capable vehicle, and none of the mods decreased capability... only increased it. Tough to find a vehicle that meets that criteria when heavily modified.

welk2party
    I still am not sure about the Rhino thing...
    Wes, that is one of the best looking Rhino's I have seen, NICE JOB! By far something that I would consider for setup to tow the boat to ramp and get some play time with too.
    Do you, or anyone else know, what it would take to make one street legal? Yours for example.

Froggystyle
    I still am not sure about the Rhino thing...
    Wes, that is one of the best looking Rhino's I have seen, NICE JOB! By far something that I would consider for setup to tow the boat to ramp and get some play time with too.
    Do you, or anyone else know, what it would take to make one street legal? Yours for example.
    Still working it. I am putting a catalytic converter on it this week, and going to get it smogged. That is the first step.
    Some people ruined it for everyone. They are not even close to street legal stock, and until you put quite a bit of time and energy into it, you won't get there from here. So, Yamaha, in an effort to stave off lawsuit central looming on the horizon wrote a letter to the California DMV saying that they were not legal for street use. As a result, when you go to register your Rhino, the VIN pops up as unregisterable.
    In the same move, they outlawed street-legalizing quads as well.
    Most of it is under the pretense of emissions. I am smogging mine first, then going at it from there. The next step is a "special construction" build VIN, which I will do after I run out of options with the regular path.
    This will be street legal in CA when I am done with it... even if it isn't technically a Rhino anymore.

welk2party
    Still working it. I am putting a catalytic converter on it this week, and going to get it smogged. That is the first step.
    Some people ruined it for everyone. They are not even close to street legal stock, and until you put quite a bit of time and energy into it, you won't get there from here. So, Yamaha, in an effort to stave off lawsuit central looming on the horizon wrote a letter to the California DMV saying that they were not legal for street use. As a result, when you go to register your Rhino, the VIN pops up as unregisterable.
    In the same move, they outlawed street-legalizing quads as well.
    Most of it is under the pretense of emissions. I am smogging mine first, then going at it from there. The next step is a "special construction" build VIN, which I will do after I run out of options with the regular path.
    This will be street legal in CA when I am done with it... even if it isn't technically a Rhino anymore.
    Thanks for the info. The place I would be using something like this, it probably is a non-issue, but it would be nice to help justify the expense.

TOBTEK
    Rhino looks killer Wes! Question... do you have a in house interior staff, or are you subleting it out? I need to have the seats done on a new Gcart im building. My regular guy is lagging!

djunkie
    Yeah, I am looking into it. I figure if we actually get it going this place will be on fire over it. The people on here are much like the industry in general... they don't really get too excited about anything unless someone else is doing it and making it work.
    Well let me know via PM or something if you'd like. I am really interested. It would be nice to have a cool place to ride around at and take care of.