Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: relays and diodes with place diverter pump?

If I wanted to run a place diverter using relays (Bosch 30 amp relays) I understand i need to run a diode as well? Ive got 2 seperate relays with 2 wires coming off each relay going to the pump, do i just run one diode for each wire inline between the pump and relay?
    I tried wiring this thing up with just the relays (no diodes) and it doesnt work correctly,pretty sure it needs a diode to keep the voltage from goiing where i dont want it. I know banderlog makes a unit for this but the dude who owns the boat is over his budget already so we are trying to cut costs so we are trying to make this happen with existing parts.
    thanks.

Got it figured out today, it was a bit of a science project but the diverter is quick! so it was worth it.Ended up using dioeds and relays togethor, because of the way place wires their pumps diodes are mandatory with most switches.
    thanks for everyone that Pmed me info, I appreciate it.

I would be interested to know why a diode was needed between your relay and pump, doesnt really make much sense to me, why would voltage end up flowing backwards?

blowngas
    if some one else wants to jump in, feel free-----electricty will flow in any direction whichever has the path of least resistance----to prevent a back flow, a diode is used----(think of it as an electrical "check valve")-----sometimes diodes are called "blockers" or blocking diodes

The Banderlog relay also does the same thing, as you have done. Your right the diverter speed is incredible, almost too fast

We timed the diverter tonight. Full cycle from full down to full up was exactly 2 seconds. We are trying for a fast diverter to get the boat to take a nice set. We will have both up and down stops, with the stops it will make its nozzle angle change in less than 1 second, this is for the Rogers, not the daytona. This set up cost about 10 bucks total.
    Shaun, You need diodes wether you use relays or not because of the way place wires the pump. When you activate the "down" it sends current to the "up" side as well, if you dont block that voltage with a diode you will be activating both solenoids when you hit the up or down and obviously that wont work.With some of the switches you can do it without diodes but they are not very nice switches.The rex and eddie switches both need diodes.
    We got some bad diodes from the company we bought our up/down switch from..I about threw a rod trying to get this thing to work with the bunk diodes, ended up finding some replacements at the local elec. supply. Make sure you check your diodes before installing.
    Chris.

I would be interested to know why a diode was needed between your relay and pump, doesnt really make much sense to me, why would voltage end up flowing backwards?
    Its not flowing backwards.. There are 4 wires. 2 wires run the "up" 2 wires run the "down" When you power the "down", it sends juice to the "up" as well, if you block the voltage before it gets to the relay it wont open the "up" solenoid. If both solenoids open your diverter wont work.

Got it figured out today, it was a bit of a science project but the diverter is quick! so it was worth it.Ended up using dioeds and relays togethor, because of the way place wires their pumps diodes are mandatory with most switches..
    You can get away without diodes on some switches.

flat broke
    A DPDT switch will have you covered. As alluded to in other posts, you have to power both the pump and select a solenoid to divert fluid flow with a place pump. The diodes are used so that when you are using a single pole switch to do the current routing job of the second pole on a dual pole switch.
    Chris

if some one else wants to jump in, feel free-----electricty will flow in any direction whichever has the path of least resistance----to prevent a back flow, a diode is used----(think of it as an electrical "check valve")-----sometimes diodes are called "blockers" or blocking diodes
    I understand what a diode does but i was unaware of why you would need them with what you would think would be a simple design.
    After CS19's explanation i understand why they are needed now. I've never actually seen a hydraulic setup up close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast