Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Took the new Boat out!

GofastRacer
    Where do you have it now?..

superV
    On the wall next to the driver seat! I just found one at Rex's for $158 just like mine but locking

GofastRacer
    Cool!..

superV
    Super Dave about that gear pattern what do you think. Im thinking I was getting 8k In 3rd If so where should I be and what should I change. Im not sure on the prop size yet but I will start there.

superV
    BTW I only took it to 8K one time for sec. I dont think that is a good thing to do

Ian
    I'm not sure what motor your running, but I'm sure you would be wise to keep the RPM's a bit below 8000. It sounds to me like you were running around in second, next time your out start in what you believe is second and bring it up to about 2800 RPM's and then shift to what you believe is third, watch the tach to see what it does and that should give you good idea of which gears are which.

Thunderbutt
    SuperV. Mine is set up P R 1 2 3 pulling shifter back to you, if it is on your left side. You must have been in 2nd gear. 1st gear is so high I don't think you could get the boat on a fast plan. The good thing about 1st gear is it will let the motor idle at the right RPM, (mine at 1500) without making a large wake. 2nd gear will give you a hole shot, I shift at 3000 to 3500 RPM's. Park is good because it won't let the prop creep like it would do in neutral.

Thunderbutt
    I was wrong Its P R N 3 2 1 sorry

Thunderbutt
    I'm going to have one more beer then I'm going to bed, before I do. You need the notched shifter so you don't go past 3rd gear into neutral turning 8000. You must have been making a hell of a noise. Good night

SK48
    Super V, as you can see we all have slightly different shift assemblies. Rex has a shifter with detent notches and a lock button. Thats what I have in mine and it works well. My shift pattern has been reversed so starting from the back it is P,R,1,2,3 going forward so you are up shifting as you push forward. Lots of V-drive cruisers don't have three speed transmissions and they work well without them. I really never use first or second for recreational boating, just put it in third and take off is just fine. Why don't you just try starting off in each gear ( if it has first it probably will just rev up and go no where) If you start off in the other two gears I would think you should feel the difference between second and third.
    What prop is under the boat ? Steel or brass ? Just curious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast