Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best head gasket?

DMOORE
    For all the engine gurus out there. What is the best head gasket currently available for a blown merc 496HO. The motor has a Wipple running 5 psi and looks like it may have popped a head gasket. Any info may help.
    Darrell.

cfm
    I believe Raylar carries Cometic headgaskets and better bolts and/or studs for these too.
    http://www.raylarengine.com/parts.html

Warp Speed
    We use the Cometic MLS (multi-layer steel) exclusivly in our engines, and they are a GREAT product. Most all the big gasket manufactures are getting into the MLS game, and have some very good designs.
    One thing to consider, these gaskets will distort the bore allot differantly than the standard (fel-pro ect...) designs (we have found significantly less) and may cause some ring sealing issues if just directly switched, without cylinders being honed to them.
    One cool thing about them, is that you can hone your cylinders with them (marking them to keep them side specific) clean them, and re-use during final assembly. This is great for duplicating cylinder precision during machining, and have found to be positive in both power output and ring seal / life.
    Hope this helps,
    Warp Speed

they great gaskets but any mls type gasket regardless of who makes it MUST be installed on a head and block that are dead ass flat and even smoother. if the head or block machineing look like a record instead of dvd forget it.

HONDOG
    HAs anybody tried the SCE Titan gaskets? They are a solid copper gaskey with SST O-Ring in the bore, all water passages have bonded rubber O-Rings around them. looks like a good system to me. Just my .02.

WannabeRacing
    I really like the SCE Titan series. They work great. We throw lots of junk at them and never had a problem.
    The cometics work very well too.

IMPATIENT 1
    HAs anybody tried the SCE Titan gaskets? They are a solid copper gaskey with SST O-Ring in the bore, all water passages have bonded rubber O-Rings around them. looks like a good system to me. Just my .02.
    i bought a set to try this spring, herd good things about em.

I'm about to try Cometics on a blown alcohol boat for the river. I am nervous about how much boost I can run with them. Pffaf say's 25 to 30 lbs. Anyone have experience with them running that kind of boost?

I'm about to try Cometics on a blown alcohol boat for the river. I am nervous about how much boost I can run with them. Pffaf say's 25 to 30 lbs. Anyone have experience with them running that kind of boost?
    The mustang guys are running turbos and prochargers on SB Fords in the 370CID range making 1600HP and using Cometics. You won't find a better gasket.

WannabeRacing
    I would have to run through the test numbers again, (not sure where I put them) but I know Kenny D ran something like 48 pounds of boost for 30+ dyno pulls without leaks with the ICS Titans from SCE. MAde like 1800 with his 270 inch deal.
    You either need amazing amounts of boost, or a very uneven surface to have problems with the cometics. They are awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast