Uh... I feel dumb because I didn't cover the basics before I got the fine points Now I know what ring gap to use, but not which way it spins Boat is 19' Baja SunSport, Mercruiser 305/alpha but getting a 350
1) I assume since its a single-engine setup that its a standard rotation, right? How do I tell the difference so I can check and be sure.
2) Any problems using a newer center-riser exhaust on my old rear-riser setup? Will the new-style riser and downpipe connect to my existing exhaust?
3) Anyone know if a driver's side (left hand) dipstick will be a problem?
4) Any thoughts on using a larger oil pan to increase capacity? I'm concerned about long-term oil drainback at 4500 rpm. How about a windage tray/screen?
5) What are your thoughts on other whimsical fancy stuff while its apart, like Glyptal in the lifter valley and heads, drainback screens, grinding out the drains for faster drainback?
Update on my progress so far: I have the block torn down. Its a 30-over four-bolt with no ridge, so I can re-hone and re-ring. I think I'll consider upgrading rods, but the crank was good with a polish. I bought some Vortec heads and a bowtie dual-plane intake for them. It might cost me a couple hp over an edelbrock, but I'd rather have the lower profile for cowl clearance, and it came from a 385-hp crate so it shouldn't be too bad I haven't nailed down the cam yet, but it will either be a stock Mercruiser grind that I have, or a retro roller. Still deciding.
Looks like assembly should happen here in a couple weeks, then I'm off to a dyno for a shakedown.