Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trick or treat... Q for the parents...

RitcheyRch
    You did the right thing.

v-drive
    Right choice, now don't back down . she will think she can do anything.

TheCarDudes
    I agree. Don't back down, don't look back. But, don't hold a grudge either. The punishment has been stated and executed. Life should go on as usual, withe the exception of the privileges lost due to the punishment.
    I found it to be very effective to remember to kiss after every slap.

Trailer Park Casanova
    Big trouble

AngryJosh
    I cant even believe your asking this question...Shame on you! If she was my daughter I would have blistered her butt, taken all her candy, and everything else she cares about. That is unacceptable behavior

a catered life
    It will suck that's for sure, but you are doing the right thing. You are not supposed to be your or a child's friend. That is what has happened to parenting. Your job is to raise and protect, the fact that she is so defiant (locking herself in a bathroom) shows that she has already started to slip. Time to tighten the reigns. I wish you the best of luck. You may be an ass to her right now but when she looks back on it it will all make sense to her.
    i agree with this completely....parents of today worry more about being their kids friend more than raising their kids to be good decent citizens, providers for their kids, great parents themselves, and law abiding...
    and ps wipe that ass and no halloween

Flyinbowtie
    I agree with everybody else, you responded accordingly.
    At 9 years old, she really needs to start understanding that their are boundaries in her life that she ISN"T in charge of. Sounds to me like perhaps this is a revelation for her.
    She'd be done; and for more than just Halloween.

BadKachina
    Was she actually told to wait for someone? She was probably so excited to go and without specific instructions not to leave the house without you she was doing what she thought she was supposed to do. You can't expect her to know she can't go around the block, on Halloween, when all the kids in neighborhood are out, and her father just got dressed up, because you don't feel it's safe for a 9 year old to be out alone.
    I think just a conversation about being safe and why kids shouldn't be out alone after dark would suffice.
    My girl is 9 and we let her and three of her friends go trick or treating without us. It's her first time she has gone without my wife but we trusted that as a group they should be safe together. They had specific parameters about the area they could go in and the time they had to return by. They had a great time and everything went off with out a hitch. She's coming to the age where she has to start learning to be responsible and more self sufficient. It's a tough age for little girls and their parents.

Tremor Therapy
    You did the right thing. I had my son do that when he was 7, and it scared the sh*t out of me for the 30 minutes it took to find him. She is still at an age where the discipline/punishment scenario's work, so don't hesitate 1 time in enforcing "the rules!"

HocusPocus
    i think its great that she is held accountable for her actions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast