Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trick or treat... Q for the parents...

Ziggy
    Well first of all the right thing was done for her leaving without permission but at the same time whoever was responsible for watching her did not do their job properly either.........you can not completely fault a child who may be excited to get out "treatin", the supervisor of this child IMO is equally at fault for not keeping control of all the kids he/she was the gaurdian over.
    Although she does not need to know that

Rattle Can Lou
    Personally I think Halloween is a great time to have a "holiday party". Invite the childrens freinds over and cook something cool and play games with them. Going out and trick or treating is a thing of the past in my book. I raised two boys that are now 22 and 27, and they never went out and trick or treated. We now know how bad the candy deal is anyway. I know, I'm living in the dark ages...but I think as parents we take the easy way out on things and this can be dangerous. I also sent my kids to a private school and they promoted the lack of "Haloween".

SHOTKALLIN
    Right choice, now don't back down . she will think she can do anything.
    obviously she already thinks she can...some home training is needed here. you cant change 9 years of bad parenting while watching your cousin for the day

SHOTKALLIN
    I have an alarm on all my doors and windows. When a door opens it beeps. nobody in or out without me knowing about it.

Cole
    Let the kid enjoy Holloween...

All-Star
    Yeah, I think that maybe a little more communication could have prevented this, or not. Depending on the childs personality. Maybe you told her to wait and she went anyways. She should have been punished. I would have made my child go home, and no candy.... and I am sure I would have thought of a few other things.
    If they walk all over you right now at 9 then it will only get worse as they get older... and bigger.
    Set your rules and stick to them. It is harder on us then it is on them. They really do want the structure in their lives, but WE have to keep it consistant.
    Good job!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123