Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 460 Question

Konabud
    Hi Guys!
    I'm swapping out the front sump pan my boat came with for a 10 qt rear pickup pan. I had to order a main bolt with a stud on it (from Ford) to mount the new pickup tube. Should I use a nylock in the pan or should I just go with a lockwasher and maybe a little locktite? I just don't want to lose a nut in the pan! Also whats the torque on the mains? I also bought one of the one piece pan gaskets I saw in a earlier thread, looks like it should work good! Always a wealth of info here! :smile:
    Thanks in advance
    Konabud

Squirtin Thunder
    I would go with a flat washer and a lock nut, not a nylock, and some locktite. Lock washer will break and fall in the pan causing the pick-up to rattle. For the pan gasket don't for get to drill out the end holes so the bolts fit.
    Real Nice Stainless Engine Bolt Kits (http://www.mmsacc-stainless.com/html/ford.htm)

Konabud
    Thanks Jim
    Not that I know you but I feel like I do from reading all of your posts. My parents snow bird down there (in Mesa) maybe one of these times I'm down there visiting I'll have to look you up! Hope to coordinate one of my visits with watching some boat racing someday. Don't suppose you know off the top of your head what the torque is on the mains?
    Creg
    AKA Konabud

460 jus getn it
    Thanks Jim
    Not that I know you but I feel like I do from reading all of your posts. My parents snow bird down there (in Mesa) maybe one of these times I'm down there visiting I'll have to look you up! Hope to coordinate one of my visits with watching some boat racing someday. Don't suppose you know off the top of your head what the torque is on the mains?
    Creg
    AKA Konabud100-105.

Konabud
    Thanks, now if they'd just send me the right oil pump I'd be in business!

460 jus getn it
    Thanks, now if they'd just send me the right oil pump I'd be in business!
    M84BHVS is the meling part number............rear pick that bolts to the side of the oil pump. yep thats it been there done that...........

Konabud
    I'm on my 4th oil pump, so far they sent me a DHV, AHV then another AHV (oh and first they sent me 2 pickups instead of a pickup and a pump) if I wasn't so frustrated :220v: it would be comical! Seems pretty simple to me.

Squirtin Thunder
    Make sure you get some ARP thread lube. I also run 5 torque seqences on heads and mains. Some people say no need but I do it everytime.

Squirtin Thunder
    Don't forget to put some prelube in the new oil pump. Not grease !!!

Konabud
    Thanks again,
    The motor was running just fine when I took it out, (except the starter was frozen) it's only supposed to have a few hours on it (who knows) all I'm doing is replacing the one main bolt. I probably won't even take the valve covers off, just trying to do the things to make it last by improving the oiling (different pan, pickup and pump, oil temp guage). I also bought a MSD RTR distributor and am looking for a 6M-2 box and rev limiter.it's just a stocker, hopefully after this it will last 10 years and I won't have to mess with it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast