Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RaysonCraft question

JBUSAF
    I know this isn't an outboard forum, but I'm sure some of you can give me some advice on this.
    Recently picked up a little 16' Rayson outboard for another project.
    It has a 1976 175 Hp merc V-6. The motor doesn't look too big, but were these little boats designed to handle that much? It will just be a little boat for playing on the river and I want it to be safe for the family, don't want it to swamp if the engine cuts out at speed or handle squirrely.
    Thanks for any advice you may have, I have a couple of V-drives and I think you guys like to help with any boat question, they seem a little more "Spirited" in the O/B forum.
    Thanks
    JB

Those little outboards were some of my favorite boats back in the day. I've never seen one with a V6 in it so I don't know how they sit in the water and so on. I do know that with a 125-135 tower or power inline merc on the back they would run pretty good. Not like today's outboards for sure, but high 50's to low 60's. There were several builders that built similar boats, I had a Schiada for a short time back in the 80's. I always liked the Rayson's too, maybe even a little better, but never had one. The early versions had no built-in well yet, be nice to find one of those and hang a bracket on it.
    Here's an old ad for ya. I think they were rated for what ever was the biggest inline merc being built at that time, 100, 125, 135 and so on.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/raysonad.jpg

JBUSAF
    Mine is a 1966, and has a mickey mouse type of addition to raise the motor 6 inches, I need a small jack plate to get the proper height. I saw another old Rayson add that said "Any Hp outboard", so I guess I need to find out what an old 135 weighed compared to my 1976 175, it doesn't look real big, but my other outboard is a 300 hp evinrude, so my sense of proportion may be all screwd up. I don't want to stay with the 175 for any silly speed stuff, but if it will work it may be nice to have the reserve at some of the higher elevation lakes up here.
    Thanks for the info.
    JB

BROADMINDED
    Jbusaf, You Are Going To Have Alot Of Fun With That Boat. My Dad And I Restored One Of These Hulls About 10 Years Ago. It Was About The Same Year As Yours. If I Remember Right, I Think We Were Right Around 50 Mph. With A 115 Merc. With A 5 Blade. It Was A Great River Boat. I Did Not Want To Get Rid Of It, But We Got Into Ski Racing And We Needed A Bigger Boat. If Have You Any Questions Send Me A Pm.

Rayson Flat
    You might be able to get some answers from www.raysoncraft.com they are located up in Ore. Have fun be safe.

JBUSAF
    Thanks Guys, should be a fun little ski boat for the kids.
    JB

DUCKY
    That boat probably came with a 90 or 115 hp inline six. The more modern v-6 weighs about 50-70lbs more but it's not the weight that is the problem. The issue here is the pull on the top of the transom and whether the boat can take it or not. My suggestion would be to brace the upper motor bolts to the stringers with some turnbuckles and pre-load them to prevent flex and ultimate failure. Feel free to give me a call if you need an explanation or advice.
    PS, the current owner of the RaysonCraft namesake most likely knows nothing of your boat. THE MAN who would unfortunately passed on recently....

JBUSAF
    I may get the 175 all tuned up and sell it to finance a nice smaller motor, I just want this for a little boat that my wife can cruise on the river with.
    Rudy's passing was unfortunate, but thankfully, he had a great time at Long Beach.This has been a horrible year for passings, I grew up in So Cal and was fortunate enough to hang around Bud Gilbert and Jim Wilkes at the races at Puddingstone and Mission Bay, helping with GN 666, Bud passed recently, Rudy passed, he was a friend of my Wifes family and I loved seeing the # 9 at the ski races, my wife just attended her mothers funeral, just a very tough year for us all.
    Have a great day
    JB

JBUSAF
    Would the turnbuckles be better than glassing in some triangle supports from the stringers to the transom?

ss19crew
    I myself have a raysoncraft outboard with a 175 on it and it runs great. If yours is one of the ones that were built by Paul Fitzgerald like mine is which would have been around the same time that yours was made you may want to give him a call (see sig line) http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...raft_Ski_6.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast