Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For All You Olds 455 Guys...

SmokinLowriderSS
    Thats a pretty stock motor by my definition, no offence. I'd go with a little larger cam. I run NGK R5670-5 plugs. 4 is the stock heat range so the 5 is one heat range colder. I'd say if you are running higher compression or a larger cam you would need colder plugs but the -5 should be ok. I've even run -6 and did not notice a difference.
    I agree, that cam is ALMOST the identical bumpstick that came out of my 454 from the factory, 1978. IMO, that's going to make a 300HP engine, depending somewhat on what the heads let it do. I'd upscale another .100" on the lift, nothing more on Duration (328* HAS to be a typo), head for 280* seat-seat duration (Dunno where thet tends to be at .050").

malcolm
    300 hp? I don't think so. Hell, an Olds can do that with a stock cam. I'd guess closer to 400.
    Jetoholic, what are the other particulars on this engine? Pistons (compression), heads, exhaust......

Taylorman
    I think 400 is a little optimistic. The missing piece of the puzzle is his heads.

malcolm
    Not when you consider I'm almost there with a smaller cam.
    Depends on his compression tho... I'm curious what pistons he's running.

Back Forty
    I believe that cam is the old W-30 or marine 390hp grind. Has a choppy idle and was put into W-30's with castiron exhaust manifolds. Dated grind but it had it's purpose.

malcolm
    I was making 350 hp with a W-31 cam (smaller) in my old 403 with 8.4 compression.

Nicked prop
    a Buick nailhead to me. What is it?

Jetaholic
    Hey guys...sorry I lagged on the specs.
    The pistons are actually .030 over pistons and they're made by Federal Mogul/Sealed Power/Speed Pro(I know I said .020 over earlier, but rechecked and they're actually .030 over...please don't bash me and think this is a scam either, or I might have to go in the corner and cry about it "later" LOL j/k). And I believe they have a shallower dish because the guys at the machine shop who sold them to me told me that they bump the compression up from 8.5:1 to 9:1. So I will be running 9:1 compression.
    The heads are the 'smog-era' "J" heads, rectangular ports, but they've been modified for larger valves.
    And Back Forty, yes you are correct...I was told that this cam is the W-30 grind.

Back Forty
    I would say in my opinion that the j heads will be fine. Ya they might not be Ka's or take your pic of other heads but you'll probably be more than happy with the results. And 400 hp... With a solid tune you should be able to get there. My sled with Berk pump and AA impeller sits at about 4500 rpms at WOT. Pushes the boat to 58 on GPS. I don't know what cam is in it but it has a very mild lope at best which didn't exist until I put the hei in( nothing like the W-30 cam.) All of this with iron intake, Q jet and HEI. These 455s might get bad raps because of stupid HV oil pumps and people building them wrong but they will make easy power all day long.
    Malcom, those W-31 small block cars were and still are plain BAD on the strip at the pure stock drags. 12's in a big A body olds on bias plys..? Your old 403 was probably pretty happy :rollside:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast