Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which Dirt bike helmet to buy?

Tom Slick
    I guess it all depends on how much your head is worth. If you've got a $99 head, get the $99 helmet. I for one would stay away from helmets not manufactured by a big name Japanese company like Shoei or Arai. Bell makes great auto racing helmets, but there moto helmets leave a little to be desired. The Shoei and Arai are the top of the line as far as protection, fit, finish and quality. Don't be a cheap skate when it comes to your melon and by a top of the line brain bucket.

CJ Skier
    Fox helmets are nice but they tend to run on the small size. So do the Troy Lee Designs. The most important thing is to try it on and make sure it fits properly. It should be snug but comfortable.
    Good luck
    CJ

RUSHIN ROULETTE
    Shoei, Arai or Bell....

cc322
    I will third the HJC great helmet at a great price.

ZBODaytona
    the shoei and arai are great. I have worn the HJC for a long time with no complaints..and have been down a few times, no problems with melon. I wear the HJC on the street and dirt. my roomate is a mechanic for yamaha and he likes the shoei but says all three are good. he prefers the shoei and arai to the hjc but says nothing is wrong with any of them and they all do protect. Like someone said before make sure the rating is up on all them, and then find the one with the fit you like the best....

Dan Lorenze
    Arai and Shoei are the "Outerlimits and Skaters" of helmets.. You pay more and get more.. I love my Arai VX-Pro... Fit is key..

Caribbean Jet
    Old School.
    Bell Moto 3 (http://www.genuineaccessories.com/Vintage/VMot3Pro.htm)
    C.T. :wink:
    I had one of those, they were cool

catman-do
    Go try them on and see which one is the most comfortable. Ive had HJC, TLD, ONE, and Fox. As of right now im using the ONE industries.
    HJC - "head just cracked", these helmets are a POS, I took a digger on a 20 foot table a few years back and split the helmet. They are cheap plastic and you might as well put a soft sided cooler over your dome.
    Troy Lee- I liked the helmet alot, however the only thing I didnt like was the way they mount the mouth piece. Its too close to your mouth and when I would breath early in the morning it would end up sending my stanky hot breath up into the goggles and fogging them up.
    One Industries- protectiveness is about the same as the TLD and was about the same price (415), but the mouth piece is further out and more comfy, however the chin strap is short and sometimes is kinda hard to get the helmet off my big ass head.
    Fox- I didnt think the helmet was comfy, so i would end up not wearing it if I was just putting around (which could be disasterous if something does end up happening).
    Look for a glassed helmet. Plastic breaks to easy and doesnt have alot of protection, and then the carbon fiber ones are so stiff that when you get impacted it doesnt absorb enough energy. The glassed helmets will crack sending the energy through the helmet instead of directly to your head like a acrbon fiber one. You may have to buy helmets more frequently, but atleast your not brain dead.

wright27
    Everyone on here is going to have there opinion on what is the best. I like 661 myself. Whatever you do, do not go cheap. With helmets you really do get what you pay for, and with riding the chances of landing on your head are very very possible. Most important is quality, comfort and then style (graphics and such). Good luck.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast