Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Construction experts...need some suggestions

NashvilleBound
    ok...I will have to take picture and then put them up for you to look at them. I will have to wait until tomorrow though, since it is already dark outside.
    This is the area that I was trying to figure out how to waterproof....what can I do in this situation?
    If its at all questionable you can get asphalt emulsion (roofing department) and waterproof it with that before framing. But if it is below grade it will eventually leak.....I promise you. There are more expensive waterproofing products but at that point your just better off pouring a new slab on top of the old one and pouring your curbs monolithically with the new pour.

kingsransomracing
    This is the code:
    A building permit is not required for one story, detached accessory structures used as tool or storage sheds, play houses and buildings of similar use provided the floor area, which do not exceed 120 square feet.
    Garages, garage conversions, room additions, carports, patio covers, accessory structures and similar improvements which are attached to your home or which exceed the allowable area, require the issuance of a building permit.
    Plans for such improvements must be submitted for approval to the Building and Safety Division prior to the issuance of a permit. Permits for smaller projects, which are less complicated, may be approved over the counter provided adequate information is shown on the plans.
    It says nothing about attaching it (except to the house)
    and here are the pictures:
    http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/5264/dsc00730gs0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
    http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/714/dsc00731qv8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

NashvilleBound
    Are you going to attach it? If so i reccommend a building permit for the resale of your home someday. How much could it possibly be? Water does not look like a problem the way its pitched to the side....will the door to this shed be on your side yard? If so you should be ok. If not it looks like your going to need to pour a new slab(you will be holding water). No need for stem walls as you'll be outta grade. Just make sure you wrap and frame it right. If you need anything else just let me know.....looks like an easy project. Good luck.
    One more thing........ If you do pour a new slab on top of the old one use long fiber in your concrete and 10 10 10 wiremesh. It will be worth the small amount of costs so it holds up instead of crumbling away.

OCMerrill
    Pretty tough to place a sill plate down on an existing patio like that and make it water tight. If you look at the patio it slopes down to the right of the picture so your new shed will be in the drainage path.
    Slab on top of existing or at the very least laminating a 6" high "curb" to build in will be your best bet. Either way scarify the surface first, concrete glue, roto in bolts first just like others have said. When you get done you will have to apply Dry-Loc or water proof the inside if you use the curb idea. It will last for a while but will eventually seep water.
    New slab is your best bet.

Schiada76
    Fire your electrician!

kingsransomracing
    Fire your electrician!
    haha...that line was from the spa that used to be there. I disconnected it from the spa and am going to use it for the shed (220V)
    Are you going to attach it?
    I don't plan on attaching it to the house...just to the concrete slab.
    will the door to this shed be on your side yard?
    The door will be on the side where the other door (left side of the second picture)
    The area where I plan on putting this is under a patio cover, so water does not get underthere except for the lower right corner of the second picture (about 1.5feet) if it is a heavy rain like we had a few years ago.
    BTW...what about those wood pieces in the slab...should I leave those in or concrete over top of them...and if I take them out, what is the best way to do that?

sigepmock
    Go down to Home Depot and buy one of their plastic sheds with a floor, it will save you time and money in the long run. The plastic floor won't rot and the raised floor will keep the contents dry. :crossx:

kingsransomracing
    If I do the curb style.. Looks like I am going to need about 6 cubic feet of concrete (or cement...what would be better? ) That is 12 90lb bags. anyway have a small cement mixer and would like to help out free beer

Mandelon
    Cement is an ingredient of concrete, just like flour is to a cookie. So use a concrete mix. I like the plastic shed idea, with a floor...or call Tuff Shed, they deliver and assemble.
    Also keep it a foot away from the house. Don't want to block moisture in against the stucco.

kingsransomracing
    My only concern with the plastic shed is that I would like to install a mill one day and since they way in upwards of 2000lbs, I don't think the plastic floor will handle it :rollside:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast