Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can one lite alky and nitro with

Blown 472
    an msd?

HONDOG
    I thik you need a special box for nitro, but i know several guys running Blown Alky lake boats (very fast lake boats) with 7AL boxes and working great.

Big Boys Toy PE857
    I think you can run at least 10% nitro and fire it w/ a 7al box. I did it w/ a 505 BBC, Enderle alc. inj. deal several years ago. I was trying to get in the 8 sec. class from the 9.0s. The boat would run about an 8.6 on just inj. However the addition of Nitro alone did not do the trick. I added a blower to the same 505 (after changing pistons), and promptly went out and ran a 7.56 in Agusta at an IHBA race. My arse is still burning after the chewing out I got from the tower. But, it was worth it for that time slip, *smile*.

Infomaniac
    I don't think it is the "type" of fuel that determines whether it needs an amplified ignition or a magneto ignition. I think it is the "amount" of fuel that requires the extra energy to light it off.
    Exactly what amount draws the line ?????

Ditto. the more nitro, the bigger the jets get, the more fuel in the hole and the harder its to lite regardless of the fact that it is nitro, its the amount of fuel that makes hard to lit off. you can make nitro go off by pouring it on the ground and hitting it with hammer. its a monopropellant and not very stable. but put enought in a cylinder and your just washing down the plugs and now you a spark across, better be packing some juice. 10-15 % shouldn't be a problem with a msd 7 and you don't want to play with more that anyway.

Blown 472
    Ditto. the more nitro, the bigger the jets get, the more fuel in the hole and the harder its to lite regardless of the fact that it is nitro, its the amount of fuel that makes hard to lit off. you can make nitro go off by pouring it on the ground and hitting it with hammer. its a monopropellant and not very stable. but put enought in a cylinder and your just washing down the plugs and now you a spark across, better be packing some juice. 10-15 % shouldn't be a problem with a msd 7 and you don't want to play with more that anyway.
    Well since I know jack shit about alky, I will say this I am buying a hilborn four port for my blown motor and will be running it on alky. From what I understand and please correct me if I am wrong the volume and the mixture are two different things? you can have the correct air to fuel mixture and not be really fat but then put more volume to it?????

DEL51
    I have heard good thing regarding the hilborn 4 port. is this for your boat or car? my friend is running the 4 port on a day cruiser with a 671 on gas.

Blown 472
    I have heard good thing regarding the hilborn 4 port. is this for your boat or car? my friend is running the 4 port on a day cruiser with a 671 on gas.
    Going on my station wagon. How is it going? how did the boat run this year?

Kurtis500
    I don't think it is the "type" of fuel that determines whether it needs an amplified ignition or a magneto ignition. I think it is the "amount" of fuel that requires the extra energy to light it off.
    Exactly what amount draws the line ?????
    Dead on. I have two motors, both on alcohol. One is a blown injected 392 with a 4-port hilborn, the other an injected 496 with an enderle on a tunnel ram. The blown motor would NOT work with an electronic ignition. I chased every problem in the world trying to figure out what was holding the motor back. I replaced the MSD with a Supermag IV and it came to life. The blown injected motor uses WAY more fuel and needed the mag. The injected motor could run on the electronic ignition, but it was an improvement by putting on a Vertex. And, I will occasionally run small percentages of nitro in the tank, so the mag just makes sure it will have the spark at over 7000 for the alcohol/nitro mix. Personally, I would never run electronic ignition and alcohol at the same time.

Kurtis500
    Well since I know jack shit about alky, I will say this I am buying a hilborn four port for my blown motor and will be running it on alky. From what I understand and please correct me if I am wrong the volume and the mixture are two different things? you can have the correct air to fuel mixture and not be really fat but then put more volume to it?????
    Yes, pretty much. If you run small percentages you can stay with your existing nozzels and just change the pill when adding nitro. It wont give you very much, but is a more stable tuning option than anything else. And if you are in higher altitudes and need a tenth or two, small nitro percentages are the most reliable way to get it.
    Check this link out for some good info.
    http://fuelinjectionenterprises.com/nitro_index.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast