Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Plane on a Treadmill?

Biglue
    HB Mythbusters???? :idea:

AirtimeLavey
    OK, once again:
    WHERE DOES IT MENTION WHEELS???????
    It says the treadmill matches the plane's speed in the opposite direction. Show me where wheels are even mentioned. :idea:
    Lol...Ok, with that logic, then where does it say the plane has wings? or an engine? or a pilot? Most planes have wheels, except maybe that rocket plane from WWII, or those suicide gliders they used to deliver troops.
    Ok, gimme my dork card, now, damn it! :boxed: :rollside:

Jordy
    So it seems as though this is more of a question regarding reading comprehension than the acutal physics of flight. So lets try again:
    A plane is standing on a runway that can move (like a giant conveyor belt).
    This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction) instantly.
    Will the plane be able to take off?
    I bolded the important part so it wouldn't be missed.
    Now I don't know about anyone else, but all I'm seeing is that the conveyor is going to cancel out the speed of the plane. No mention of wheel speed, ground speed, speed over ground, headwinds, big titted stewardess' or the pilot's BAC.
    The treadmill is spinning the wheels backward, but the extreem thrust against ambient air is still generating forward motion on the airframe.
    Still stuck on the wheels I see. It doesn't even say the plane has wheels. You're making assumptions here that aren't stated and then overthinking the answer.
    The equal and opposite reaction is the thrust against ambient air.
    The way I see it, based upon how the question is worded and what we know, is that the two equal and opposite forces are the planes speed and the treadmill, which effectively cancel each other out, leaving the plane stationary on the ground.
    It's easy to see that a car would remain stationary on a conveyor because it is driven by the wheels, but a plane is propelled by the thrust exerted against the atomosphere.
    I don't give a shit if the wheels are 28" spinners, they're not relevent to the question as it's worded.

Jordy
    This thread is at least still better than the sunk the boat thread, for now anyway.
    You can do a google search of this question and find a million different answers with people trying to offer solutions based up on rolling resistance, elevation, flap settings, ambient temperature, wind speed, thrust of the engines, jet or piston, wing surface area, payload, lift coefficient, and on and on and on. Yes, all that stuff comes into play with flight, however, none of that is a factor in the question the way it's worded. :notam:
    The simple fact is, the plane isn't moving and a stationary plane, based upon the facts we know, won't generate lift. Lesson over. Tip your waitresses.
    Now Midget Boy, about that short bus...

Sleek-Jet
    I don't give a shit if the wheels are 28" spinners, they're not relevent to the question as it's worded.
    They be spinnen when I's stopped... and the ain't spinnen when I's movin... Look at 'em... theyz spinnen... theyz spinnen...

CornWater
    Wheels shmeels.... It does'nt matter.. The speed of the conveyor is irrelevant. If plane air speed needs to be 200mph (arbitrarily) to take off, conveyor will be moving 200mph in other direction. Most def. will take off...

AirtimeLavey
    So it seems as though this is more of a question regarding reading comprehension than the acutal physics of flight. So lets try again:
    Now I don't know about anyone else, but all I'm seeing is that the conveyor is going to cancel out the speed of the plane. No mention of wheel speed, ground speed, speed over ground, headwinds, big titted stewardess' or the pilot's BAC.
    Still stuck on the wheels I see. It doesn't even say the plane has wheels. You're making assumptions here that aren't stated and then overthinking the answer.
    The way I see it, based upon how the question is worded and what we know, is that the two equal and opposite forces are the planes speed and the treadmill, which effectively cancel each other out, leaving the plane stationary on the ground.
    The.....wheels'.....rotation.....cancel .....out....the.....treadmill. So,....we're....left....with....thrust.....from... ..the....engine....creating....forward .....movement. I could be wrong, though. :crossx:
    The plane won't fly with spinners, as no matter how fast the tires rotate, the wheels appear stationary. They cancel each other out. :idea: :boxed:

CBadDad
    A new B.S. thread that isn't about Later.
    This is what HB is all about.

Jordy
    Wheels shmeels.... It does'nt matter..
    Exactly. Finally someone gets that part of it.
    The speed of the conveyor is irrelevant.
    Wrong, that's one of 2 things that are relevant in this equation, the other being plane speed.
    If plane air speed needs to be 200mph (arbitrarily) to take off, conveyor will be moving 200mph in other direction.
    OK, so it's been a while since I've taken physics, but this is pretty simple so I'll give it a shot.
    We'll call your 200mph plane speed +200. We'll call the treadmill's 200mph speed in the opposite direction -200.
    Now we take +200 and add it to -200 and come up with 0 for an overall speed. The plane isn't moving.
    Most def. will take off...
    How??? Even the people who are hung up on the wheel thing can agree that a plane that isn't moving doesn't generate lift and won't fly.

BajaMike
    This thread is at least still better than the sunk the boat thread, for now anyway.
    The simple fact is, the plane isn't moving and a stationary plane, based upon the facts we know, won't generate lift. Lesson over. Tip your waitresses.
    Now Midget Boy, about that short bus...
    Jordy is right.....you can only use the information you are given....
    "A plane is standing on a runway that can move (like a giant conveyor
    belt). This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's
    speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but
    in the opposite direction) instantly.
    Will the plane be able to take off?"
    The "plane is standing on the runway". "Standing" implies a stationary airplane....it says nothing about thrust or movement......the plane is not moving, so the "speed of the conveyor.....is exactly the same" as the airplane......0 miles per hour! :idea: Not likely to take off at 0 miles per hour.
    You've got to use the information given and only that information!

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast