Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Plane on a Treadmill?

racecar.hotshoe
    Your graphic pretty much lays it out.
    Speaking of laying out, I'm going to go back to imagining what it would be like to lay down with Pamala David.
    Have a nice evening.
    Thats right Tom I knew you would be the one to leave your wingman!

Tom Brown
    My wingman is in tight formation right now.
    ttyl...

racecar.hotshoe
    My wingman is in tight formation right now.
    ttyl...
    "TMI"

deltaAce
    I can't see how they argued this to 40 pages. I seems clearly evident that the thrust from a prop or jet would propell an airframe forward irrespective of a conveyor belt runway.
    Then again, we went 120 pages on "sunk the boat" & still have to ask when the boats gonna come up!

OCMerrill
    If "Later" posts then this could go 40 pages
    Very complicated way of asking " If a Rooster laid an egg?".
    The very second the plane is throttled up it will move forward....and it doesent matter if the wheels are spinning 1000 mph just as long as they are there to support the plane until "V2" is reached and the plane can take off.
    Its an air speed thing.
    If the plane is moving 100 knots then the wheels are moving 200 knots. Makes no difference. Need a runway length treadmill though.

Ziggy
    I can't see how they argued this to 40 pages. I seems clearly evident that the thrust from a prop or jet would propell an airframe forward irrespective of a conveyor belt runway.
    Then again, we went 120 pages on "sunk the boat" & still have to ask when the boats gonna come up!
    Seems to me no matter how much thrust is applied with the plane still on the ground it will not create groundspeed since the treadmill compensates for any forward motion of the wheels.
    So as been said, no lift............she stays on the ground.

ahhell
    it would be the same if you were to secure the plane to the ground...no forward motion no lift off
    but im no pilot

ZBODaytona
    the answer was up top somwhere..ground speed would be X but airspeed would be say Y "something different"... if the plane needs 150 knots to take off then the wheels or ground speed would be at 300knots but the airspeed would still be 150knots....as stated above dosen't matter what the wheels are turing all that matters is that the plane is thrusting forward... if it was a car it wouldn't move but since the wheels on a plan just freespin (unless under breaking); the plane will still move....

Sleek-Jet
    Yes, it will fly... the question never states the airplane stay stationary... just that the treadmill moves in the opposite direction as the wheel speed... the wheels will just be going twice as fast when the airplane lifts off.

Jordy
    the question never states the airplane stay stationary... just that the treadmill moves in the opposite direction as the wheel speed
    Hey Sleek, reread the question. It never mentions wheel speed it says PLANE speed and then moves the treadmill in the opposite direction accordingly, which would mean that the plane stays stationary, which means no lift, which means no takeoff.
    A plane is standing on a runway that can move (like a giant conveyor
    belt). This conveyor has a control system that tracks the PLANE'S
    speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but
    in the opposite direction) instantly.
    Will the plane be able to take off?

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast