Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Cooler Setup?

Fire Water
    I plan on installing an oil cooler as part of my rebuild. 15.5', Aluminum Jetboat, 406sbc. Rexmar has a 2" model that has 3/4 water ports. I was thinking about running my block cooling water through the oil cooler first (kinda like having the water pass through jacketed manifolds as a preheater). I also run a pressure regulator set at 16 psi. Anybody tried any thing like this? Would I still have enough cooling capacity for my block?

Moneypitt
    I plan on installing an oil cooler as part of my rebuild. 15.5', Aluminum Jetboat, 406sbc. Rexmar has a 2" model that has 3/4 water ports. I was thinking about running my block cooling water through the oil cooler first (kinda like having the water pass through jacketed manifolds as a preheater). I also run a pressure regulator set at 16 psi. Anybody tried any thing like this? Would I still have enough cooling capacity for my block?
    May as well step up now as later. Go with the Olsen, bolt to the block cooler. If you don't, you'll always wish you had. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes. The Olsen cooler will flow enough to allow the preheating as you mentioned, and keep the "blood" of the engine, oil, plenty cool. Any oil cooler is a good investment, the better the cooler, the better the investment...........MP

Aluminum Squirt
    FW, I think I'm using the exact cooler you are looking at. I'm running water off the pump, through a pressure bypass, through the cooler, and then up to the motor. It's worked well for me. I'm sure the Olsen cooler is good stuff, just not sure you need it if you are running a mild/moderate SBC. I was under the impression the Olsen cooler was more of a BBC/offshore thing but I could be wrong. My little cooler has always kept the temp down for long periods of WOT. I bolted mine down to the stringer on the oil filter side and my temp gauge sender is on the hot side of the cooler so I can see what my hottest oil temp is. The cooler provided a nice place to mount the sender and while I was at it I blocked off the filter and ran a remote dual filter before the cooler. My thoery was to filter hot oil as it should flow a little better but I don't know if it makes a difference. I got some more capacity out of the dual filters, the cooler and all of the associated plumbing which was an added bonus. I like the dual filters. Just remember to duct tape them together so they won't unscrew at an inoportune time. I may be able to find a picture or two of my set up, I'll have to email them to you though as I'm not smart enough to post them here. I'm sure you remember that we have the exact same hull-Aluminum Squirt

Aluminum Squirt
    FW, OK I found a good picture of my set up. It will give you an idea of how I have it set up, not all of the plumbing was in and the boat looked like sh!t because it was getting re-rigged but it shows how I have it set up. I'm sure there are better ways but this seems to work for me. I can't find your email in my PM's. Either send me your email or maybe somebody will volunteer to post the picture on this thread-Aluminum Squirt

LGCDEVIL
    If you use the remote deal instead of the olsen, don't use the rubber hose & clamps that it comes with. at the very least, use push-on fittings. I would use braided line & a/n fittings. Buddy had the cheese dog hose & clamps blow off & ruin a brand new motor.

I like the dual filters. Just remember to duct tape them together so they won't unscrew at an inoportune time.
    I followed you till I got to this. How does 2 filters make them unscrew any easier than one if tightened correctly? And also what do you duct tape a single filter to.

bighead
    I would think that on a dual filter setup the filters are side by side so if you taped them together by wrappiny the tape around the body of both filters it would prevent either one of them fom independently unscrewing. I like it cause i am a shade tree monkey rigger at heart and maybe that is why I understand. It is the high doller stuff that confuses me.HAhAHa.I could not resist sorry. got me laffin at mahselph hear

67weimann
    FW, OK I found a good picture of my set up.~~~~Either send me your email or maybe somebody will volunteer to post the picture on this thread-Aluminum Squirt
    I'll post them up for ya...Check your PM's

DEL51
    May as well step up now as later. Go with the Olsen, bolt to the block cooler. If you don't, you'll always wish you had. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes. The Olsen cooler will flow enough to allow the preheating as you mentioned, and keep the "blood" of the engine, oil, plenty cool. Any oil cooler is a good investment, the better the cooler, the better the investment...........MP
    I have a big pan/10 quart and run no oil cooler. I was told by my engine builder to run the oil hot and the engine cool. Use High quality oil with multi viscosity,.I run 20w 50 shaeffers and tore down my engine las night. It looks very good. I run a max of 20 minutes at time and full power a max of 30 sec.I do run a vacuum pump and pull 12 inches.I think my system is working well but I do have an olsen oil cooler/never used just in case.They are really well built and mount right to the engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast