Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Cooler Setup?

What is the ideal temp for oil? Is it possible to actually cool the oil too much?

Aluminum Squirt
    Bighead has it right, maybe I didn't explain that very well. Think of it as safety wiring your filters together, except with duct tape. I agree that properly installed they shouldn't come off but, as Canuck1 said, things start happening a little differently in an aluminum boat in white water. I figure it looks cool cause I'm a backyard mechanic kind of guy and why not? It's a foot or two of duct tape to make something stay where its supposed to. May not be helping but it sure isn't hurting. Besides my boat is about as far as you can get from a show boat. Del51, I don't think you are wrong but I will agree to disagree with you, I don't think oil should ever be run any hotter than needed. I think cooler is better, obviously you don't want 100 degree oil but I think I would do everything to keep it as cool as reasonable. I'm no professional engine builder but I do run my motor from 5-25 minutes (yes minutes!) at WOT and I haven't had too many issues. But then again there are guys running ZZ4's under the same conditions with no cooler and a stock 5 Qt pan who don't have any issues either so who knows?-Aluminum Squirt
    PS-67W, check your email, picture is there and thank you

DUCKY
    What is the ideal temp for oil? Is it possible to actually cool the oil too much?
    Your oil needs temp needs to get near the boiling point of water to evaporate off any contaminants such as small amounts of excess fuel (past the rings) and condensation. 180-200 after an extended cruise or hard run is very nice. 210-215 is okay, 220+ is too hot.

67weimann
    FW, OK I found a good picture of my set up. It will give you an idea of how I have it set up, not all of the plumbing was in and the boat looked like sh!t because it was getting re-rigged but it shows how I have it set up. I'm sure there are better ways but this seems to work for me. -Aluminum Squirt
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...r/100_1121.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12