Thread: Bravo upper gimble pivot pin

hpy540
    Dose anyone have a old tansom assembly laying around. i need the upper pin.
    mark_lmk@yahoo.com

Havasu47
    The pin at the top center of the gimbal ring is the steering pin. Is this what you are looking for or one of the side pivot pins?

Run_em_Hard
    Those pins are $$$$$$. Hope someone can help you out. And I do believe that they call the ones that attach the gimble and the bell housing hinge pins.
    Some of the best prices I could find was http://www.mercstuff.com/
    They deliver pretty fast as well.

Havasu47
    Gimbal ring hinge pins are about $19.00 and the steering pin is around $250.00

hpy540
    Yep top dead center of gimble. It is sloppy right now. I have tightened the two bolts holding the gimble to the steering pin but it is way sloppy. I thought about adding some material to it and then I thought about the metallurgical side of things. This is probably tool steel ,oil hardend ,tempered ,and then, case or surface hardened. It probably would not last too long if I f&*%ed with the temper of it. I don't think I will be needing it for a little while as U can see by the picture but I would like to get things ready to go so I can put it together in spring when I drop my freshened up 540 back in. I figure someone out here has to have one from a broken gimble/transome assy. Yes i know the pivot pin is around 250 but these things dont wear or you never hear of them breaking.
    I hope some one here can hook me up....
    mark_lmk@yahoo.com

Havasu47
    Sorry to say it's not your pin. If you have drilled the access holes and tightened the pinch bolt on the steering arm and it didn't fix the play, it's the gimbal ring. The steering pin almost never wears out. The square hole in the gimbal ring will wear if the two bolts you tightened aren't kept tight all the time. Around $800.00 and 90% of the time the engine has to be pulled to properly replace it....

hpy540
    The engine is out right now. I tell you I am still finding sh%t from Bob Anderson. He must have given me every piece of shyt that he could think of. Virtually everything he gave me was junk. So I put maybe 60 hours on this boat but I am gettin to be a real good marine mech. I never tightened the gimble till I pulled the motor this last weekend. Can it be shimmed? I am not sure what you are talking about with drilling holes? Ok so I need to take the transom assy off the back of the boat to tighten? I did not do this. there was slop in it as i remember when i first put the motor in in spring of 2005. i thoughtnothing of it untilli rode i a friend Baja and his was so much smoother. my drive vibrates a littel wehn i back up. The drive is alligned with the coupler i made sure of that. HAVASUE 47 DO YOU HAVE A PHOONE NUMBER THAT I CAN CALL YOU ON?

Run_em_Hard
    For the two holes question...you can drill a hole in each side of your transom assy to tighten or just enter from the motor compartment. Since you have your engine pulled its quite easy to take care of. The steering arm that goes to your steering pin has a bolt and nut on it that allows for a little tightening of your steering. If it doesn't take care of it than you will need a new gimble ring.