Thread: Milling the choke tower

Snowboat
    First off, thanks to Superdave for shutting down the river rats B.S. Don't go to the forums for that stuff, just to learn. I've got a couple of Holley 750 mechanicals that have the choke towers on them. They have worked fine, but I'm wondering if getting rid of the choke tower is worth the trouble. They are on a blown engine and the scoop faces the stern. Do you gain a couple of HP or make a significant difference?

Kindsvater Flat
    Snowboat:
    First off, thanks to Superdave for shutting down the river rats B.S. Don't go to the forums for that stuff, just to learn. I've got a couple of Holley 750 mechanicals that have the choke towers on them. They have worked fine, but I'm wondering if getting rid of the choke tower is worth the trouble. They are on a blown engine and the scoop faces the stern. Do you gain a couple of HP or make a significant difference? I can't answer that one but maybe Ty from TPC can answer it over in the Gear Heads section.
    And yes SuperDave did what was best.

GofastRacer
    Snowboat:
    First off, thanks to Superdave for shutting down the river rats B.S. Don't go to the forums for that stuff, just to learn. I've got a couple of Holley 750 mechanicals that have the choke towers on them. They have worked fine, but I'm wondering if getting rid of the choke tower is worth the trouble. They are on a blown engine and the scoop faces the stern. Do you gain a couple of HP or make a significant difference? Yeah, thanks Dave, it was beginning to suck big time!.
    Ken, milling the choke horns do make a difference, I milled my 660's and gained almost a tenght in the 1/4 mile when I was running brackets!..
    Check your PM bud!..

DUCKY
    I have cut a few off and noticed no difference. Also, there was I really good book on Holley's that I can't find now, but it said "removing the towers alone netted only slight gains" and "the best improvements were gained by blending and polishing the radii of each venturi" It also went on to say that "these types of mods should only be only be performed by one with access to a flow bench, to ensure equal, balanced flow through each venturi" But it sounds like GFR, got good stuff out of his, so maybe that guy was wrong.

GofastRacer
    Ducky, there's a lot of truth to that. I tried that on a car with an air cleaner and it didn't do shit. But with a fully enclosed scoop, that's when I noticed a difference. Also if you blend the venturies, round off all the sharp edges, it will aid in air flow!..