Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats next? Carrera should be faster.

jag2
    1991 Carrera Eclipse 20' all stock Hardin 454/715 holley/bassett twistys, Berkeley 12JG-a /a impeller/ standard nozzel
    I picked the boat up a few months ago, ran 53 MPH@ 3900RPM with lots of cavitation on take off. Secondary shaft was corroded shut. Rebuilt the carb and ran 57.9@4100RPM but still had the cavitation with 3 people and a good size full ice chest. Sharpened up the impeller and installed an older manual diverter and ran fastest at 1 notch above center on the diverter @ 57.8@4150RPM, no cavitation but it started to porpoise a little with 2 people in the boat and no other extra weight.
    Whats next as far far a speeding this thing up a little? From what I can gather there is something wrong. Would setting the floats to low cause a lean enough condition to keep this setup from running 65? Everyone says this is a fairly quick hull and should run 65+ out of the box.
    Any worthwhile ideas are appreciated.

jag2
    Sell it and buy an aluminum hull
    Thats sounds like a good plan with the exception of my alchoholic ass would get drunk, paint it up to look like a coors can, fill it with beer and promptly launch it and sink :crossx:
    Edit: Actually might look into one of those if I end up heading back east, after watching the videos in this thread http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131938 aluminum looks like fun :skull: Wonder what 360 horse in my 13 footer aluminum fisher would be like?

Aluminum Squirt
    Besides sell it and buy aluminum I would look at a couple of things that need to be looked at together but probably need to be addressed separately, usually for finacial reasons: Setup, Hull, HP, Pump
    Setup-Is your boat balanced front to back, side to side. Is the ride plate set at the proper angle, is your diverter working properly. Is your shoe adjusted properly. Do you have 400 lbs of crap in there that you don't need
    Hull-Does your hull have a lot of hook or rocker. Is everything sharp, trued, blueprinted etc
    HP-Is your motor highly tuned and fresh or wore out. Your RPM's sound a little low, maybe some carb or ignition issues, flat cam. Within reason, you can make your boat as fast as you want if you throw enough HP at it.
    Pump-Is your pump tight and fresh. A tight pump can make all the difference in the world, but more than likely you will lose some more RPM's with a tight pump.
    I'd look at motor issues first, start with simple stuff like a compression check, timing check etc. I have no idea what kind of HP you are making but 4150 RPM's sound a little low. Get that thing highly tuned and then you know where you stand. If you are still turning a low RPM you can look at cutting the impeller down to A/B or B to gain some RPM's back and hopefully put you running right at your HP peak. After that I would go after your pump and make sure it's tight, maybe have one of the guru's go through it, blueprint it, add an inducer, shoe, rideplate, all the gadgets.
    Then when you decide you want a really fun project, pull the motor, flip the hull and blueprint it. Get after it, it should be done by summer.....of 2008. The sky and the wallet are usually the limit. I'd say at 60 you aren't doing too bad. Many stock jetboats are in the 50's, especially on GPS. Dash speedo probably says 65 but a stock motor in a non-race boat should get you around 60 and you should be happy with that. If you want to see 70 or 80, you are going to have to look at most of the things above....or buy aluminum :boxed: . There are tons of good guys on here that can guide you through the things I've mentioned with much more experience and knowledge than I have. I just know enough of the words to be dangerous. When some people tell you there boat goes 70, it may not be. Put it on the GPS and verify it. These guys running 80+ have put a lot of time, money, and effort into making their sleds fast, especially when running a bigger boat in lake trim-Aluminum Squirt

LGCDEVIL
    58 is about right on for that hull (not blueprinted) on a 330 horse motor & a wore out pump. Sounds like you're a couple hundred rpm low, though.

BLEWBAYOU1
    I think you should be about 4800 RPMs with an "A" impeller and about 62-65 mph.
    Brian

fatboy95
    Thats sounds like a good plan with the exception of my alchoholic ass would get drunk, paint it up to look like a coors can, fill it with beer and promptly launch it and sink :crossx:
    Edit: Actually might look into one of those if I end up heading back east, after watching the videos in this thread http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131938 aluminum looks like fun :skull: Wonder what 360 horse in my 13 footer aluminum fisher would be like?
    How true. Let's buy 2 of them.

Heatseeker
    Sounds to me like a power problem. If the pump was loose and/or worn out, you would most likely see a higher rpm with less speed.
    I'd go through the tuning steps outlined above. Chances are you'll find a problem somewhere.

jag2
    Paperwork says 360 hp. 131 hours on the boat when I bought it, about 160 now. But ive ridden in this particular boat alot over the years before I bought it and it did seem like it used to be faster. Over the years it has been very well taken care and stored inside but unfortunately it sat outside in Utah all last winter, it had a cover but rust got it a little.
    Ive got lots of big hp BBC hotrod goodies laying around my shop but im not looking to get mass amounts of speed. I just want it to run to the full potential it had stock and have fun. It just seems it used to be faster.

79Challenger
    Father in laws 91 eclipse runs mid 90's with 850hp, a/b impeller, blueprinted bottom.
    Oh yea...its also an open bow

jag2
    Father in laws 91 eclipse runs mid 90's with 850hp, a/b impeller, blueprinted bottom.
    Oh yea...its also an open bow
    Id like to see a picture of that, sounds interesting. Something he cut open himself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast