Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Drain Cock ????

Dans66Stevens
    Has anybody ever had the balls to try one of these drain cocks for the oil pan? I think for the oil change thing it would be slick. I just wonder how safe it is? Anyone have any input. Summitt sells this thing. Im the guy who when changing oil has to wear half of it. I think it would be slick to hook-up a hose and drain the oil. Thanks

ratso
    We have installed a couple and they have been fine. Normally we pump it out through the dipstick but for someone doing their own, the drain should work just fine.

superdave013
    Dan, My last boat had (and the schiada will have) a bulkhead fitting going thru the transom by the bilge drain that was connected to the pan. My last one had a -16 (installed by the person before me) with a cap on it. I plan to use a -12 this time. Anyway ya just remove the cap, attach a hose to a bucket. Open the valve and let it rip. No mess and no pumping thru the dipstick. If you use a nice big hose it drains real quick.
    Before that I used the trash bag method.
    Ratso, what kind of pump do you use for the dipstick method? I have tried that and it just takes for ever and I never know if I got it all. I guess 14 qts of 60 weight was not helping.

Thunderbutt
    Dan, The 14 qt. Avaid pan I installed in 1972 has a -8 an fitting. If I had to do over I'd put in a #12. Like Dave said the 60weight oil takes a while.

nastyhabit
    hey what is a better way ive got the same 14qts of 60weight i could run the moter with the oil plug open and not loose any except through the intake and the block by the distrib that started leaking any one got good ideas for sealing a tall block w/block adapters ---nasty

ratso
    superdave013: JABSCO makes the pump and bucket kit #17800-2000. I sell them for around $175. They make one you can hook up to a drill but don't waste your money on that one. An oil drain kit is around $45. It helps if you warm up your motor prior to pumping it out from the dipstick.

superdave013
    Originally posted by ratso:
    superdave013: JABSCO makes the pump and bucket kit #17800-2000. I sell them for around $175. They make one you can hook up to a drill but don't waste your money on that one. An oil drain kit is around $45. It helps if you warm up your motor prior to pumping it out from the dipstick.
    That Jabsco pump for the drill is what I used. You're right, it was a waste. I liked my drill to much to finsh the job.
    Those oil hose kits you can buy I think are to small also. I know they have to be to fit out the bilge. The banjo fitting they have doesn't help much. My schiada had that when I bought it. I guess for most people it would be ok as they only change their oil one time per season or so. With the blown and turbo engines I run I change it allot. That -16 would drain 14 qts right now. I hope the -12 will still be pretty fast.
    So where is your shop located? If you in So Cal I'ed like to check it out.

ratso
    Sorry SD013...We are in Texas my friend.

Dans66Stevens
    The thing im talking about is in the Summitt catolog. It is a small valve that screws into the oil drain plug hole. It has a lock that keeps it closed. Has anyone tried one of these? You just hook up a hose and drain the engine. And those drill pumps SUCK THE BAG........Makes a oil change a real big long process.

schiada96
    Sd has the right idea. Ive got 3 foot - 8 line on the oil pan, just run it thru the drain plug pop the cap put the line into a bucket come back the next morning. Too easy no mess. It costs alot less than the kits.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast