Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wont start

Havasu Hangin'
    As you guessed, it also could be as simple as the kill switch- did you try to bypass it?
    I would hate to think something that new has major problems already. I've heard (on this board) of crank-trigger problems on the new 496. Even blowing fuses or circut breakers would tick me off.
    http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy25.gif

spectras only
    My coil and breaker system never missed a beat on my 76 Spectra heh,I always thought I should have a backup system for my 72 spectra which has the MSD system [runs good though,knock on wood]and when you out on the ocean ,you're on your own,unlike on the lakes or rivers where you can get a tow by friendly boaters.

HYSTRUNG
    HH, I didn't know where to by pass it from (unless you mean right from the ignition switch) Shockwave builds really nice boats and the tuck all of their wiring into loom making it a real pain when you're on the water.

Havasu Hangin'
    So, I guess I should be thankful that the wiring on my old boat is "accessible" (AKA- exposed spaghetti) behind the dash. I've rewired my boat so many times, I should know where every connection is. Most of the time, when something comes loose, I can just blame the rigger (me), who happens to be on board.
    http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy25.gif

HYSTRUNG
    Yeah I had a jetboat just like that about 12 years ago. You could reach under the dash and start it using starter wires without even looking. I don't miss that one, well maybe a little...

froggystyle
    I would definitely ensure the kill switch is not your gremlin first. Just put an impedence meter (ohm meter) to each terminal. Then, remove the lanyard. Any Change?

HYSTRUNG
    Thanks Froggystyle, I spoke to the guys at Shockwave and they stated the ECM went out to lunch on it. They told me Merc. said that the 496 is having a similar problem too. They ran it and everything seemed ok. We're hoping to pick it up by the end of the week.

spectras only
    Hystrung, ECM ,hmmmm http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif,the automakers have the limpmode for cars,why not for boats?.I personally don't beleive high tech for boat applications,hence we run them at high rpm's [and constant speeds] most of the time and the air/fuel ratio is dialed in by that range.Only cars would benefit from fuel injection,variable cam timing etc...! My 0.02 worth

tahoe22
    Hystrung - Let me know when you get your boat back. I'll stop by your pad to check it out, the bullets are on me.
    Call me @ work bro. You know the number.

HYSTRUNG
    I'm supposed to pick it up tonight, maybe Friday. I had them put some new goodies on it. I'll call you today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast