Thread: Lightning 21ft induce or not

Budman13
    I bought a lightning 21 ft. with a 502 chevy sea power 502 hp, lightning headers, with a Dominator set back pump stock impeller, droop snoot, and place diverter. I also added a high performance grate loader. The rpm is about 4,900 to 5,000. The manual on the motor says it should reach 5,200 rpm. The estimated speed is about 63 to 65 on friends boat whos speedo has been gps'd. Also the the motor only reaches about 115 to 120 degrees. I was wondering if adding an inducer would help top speed and pulling skiers. I love to ski but I also love to play at the end of the day. Also should I think about changing the stock impeller? Please give suggestions, will post pictures of boat soon because it is bad a$$ for an open bow family boat.
    What is the best way to get the power from the motor out of the pump with this setup? One other question what is a realistic cost to have an inducer installed.

flat broke
    The inducer by itself will not gain you anything on the top end. It may well help with your holeshot, but that's pretty much it. Now, it CAN indirectly help your top speed. A common application for the inducer is for guys who need to cut their impeller down to reach the peak HP of their motor. Typically when you cut the impeller down in a bigger boat, your launch/holeshot suffers. By installing the inducer, you can get back some/all of the low end punch, and when coupled with an impeller cut to reach peak HP, you may see an increase in top speed.
    But before any of that can be speculated upon, everyone is going to want to know your current impeller make and size, WOT RPM, and the current top speed of the boat. With those variables answered, you'll start to get some meaningful information exchange.
    Chris

TIMINATOR
    Watch for the Hot Boat "Jet Pump Basics" article in about 2 months....
    TIMINATOR