Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRANSMISSION IN MANDELLA V-DRIVE

CHOPPED LIVER
    CONSIDERING PUTTING A TRANSMISSION IN V-DRIVE BOAT FOR PURPOSE OF GAINING REVERSE AND A SLOWER SPEED THRU NO WAKE ZONE. DONT KNOW WEATHER TO TRY POWERLIDE,350,OR 400 TRANSMISSION. CANT SEE WERE YOU WOULD NEED MORE THAN 2 FORWARD GEARS,BUT AM UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT 350 OR 400 IS A TOUGHER TRANSMISSION. ANY INPUT GREATLY APPRECIATED

Sangster
    CHOPPED LIVER:
    CONSIDERING PUTTING A TRANSMISSION IN V-DRIVE BOAT FOR PURPOSE OF GAINING REVERSE AND A SLOWER SPEED THRU NO WAKE ZONE. DONT KNOW WEATHER TO TRY POWERLIDE,350,OR 400 TRANSMISSION. CANT SEE WERE YOU WOULD NEED MORE THAN 2 FORWARD GEARS,BUT AM UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT 350 OR 400 IS A TOUGHER TRANSMISSION. ANY INPUT GREATLY APPRECIATED Most people that run that type of tranny run a turbo 400 w/ first gear locked out...And Park of course.....

obnoxious001
    Turbo 400's get used quite a bit, often with no first gear, but depending on your v-drive ratio, may still be pretty fast at idle. This set up had no 1st gear, and I had to bump it in and out of gear in areas where speed was an issue. Of course, I did have a 1.45 gear in the v-drive. By the way, the engine is for sale, email me direct (agt001@aol.com)
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/001_install.JPG[/img]

GofastRacer
    Use a TH400!. wink

gottaminute?
    the 400 is the way to go if room is not a problem.you want a manual valve body w/reverse pattern.this puts 1st, neutral,reverse next to each other for easy docking etc. i'm told the powerglide is not avail reversed so you have to shift past 2nd to get to 1st.also when shifting to high the reversed 400 wont let you pass it and hit neutral( rev limiter... what rev limiter ?)

DUCKY
    A powerglide will work well too, but first gear is only useful for the no wake zone in a sub 21' boat. Try to use it to get on plane, and you will be testing the valve springs in your motor (8000rpm right now!)
    Nice thing with a p/g, is you can have the tailshaft housing removed and have a nice short little tranny. And yes, there are reverse valve bodies available for it. I had one in my first v-drive.
    [ February 14, 2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: DUCKY ]

CHOPPED LIVER
    WHEN INSTALLING A TURBO 400, WHAT HAS TO BE DONE TO TRANSMISSION? I HAVE HEARD THAT YOU DONT NEED A TORQE CONVERTER. IF THIS IS SO HOW DO YOU COUPLE TRANNY TO ENGINE? also if there is no converter.can bell housing be cut off or shortened to reduce length and weight of tranny? I HAVE ALSO HEARD THAT BOAT WILL STILL CREEP FORWARD IF TRANNY IS IN NUETRAL. IF THIS IS SO CAN PARK STILL BE USED TO STOP THE PROP FROM SLOWLY SPINNING AND IF PARK IS USED WHAT THE HELL KIND OF SHIFTER WILL HAVE 1ST 2ND NEUTRAL REVERS AND PARK WITHOUT PUTTING A DAMN AUTO SHIFTER IN. MY BOAT ISNT PERFECT TO LOOK AT BUT I DONT THINK I WANT A BIG UGLY AUTO SHIFTER.

DUCKY
    When installing any automatic trans, there are a few mods to make. #1 is the removal of the parking pawl. You do not want park, because it can cause big damage if accidentally shifted into. And yes, you do not use a torque converter. There are different ways to couple them. The time tested way is a custom built intermediate shaft and a dampener plate, used with a flywheel. There are newer ways too, namely a locked out converter available from most any converter builder, and there is also a direct pump drive available from TCI through Summit racing equipment. Both of the newer ways simply use a flexplate (lighter, quicker throttle response) You dont have to use a "ugly auto shifter" either. I recently set my Dad's TH400 up with a single lever control that has only one detent (NEUTRAL) Any non-locking single lever control will work, you just have to "count the clicks" Oh, and it shouldn't creep forward or any other direction any more than your car would in neutral.
    [ February 14, 2003, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: DUCKY ]

gottaminute?
    leave the PARK in then you dont need an anchor or ropes... throw it in "P", hop out, start drinkin'....No ?

DUCKY
    gottaminute?:
    leave the PARK in then you dont need an anchor or ropes... throw it in "P", hop out, start drinkin'....No ? Not Exactly... LOL!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast