Hey folks. I used to be involved in a club in SoCal called "Scouts West". We all ran International Harvester Scouts and went 'wheeling all the time to various runs and such.
One of the cool things we had was an official "Adopt-A-Trail" in San Bernadino county. What it was, was a US Forest service access road that we agreed to "maintain" with the forest service's help and make sure it was open for use in case of fires or rescues or whatever. Essentially, every now and then, we did a run with a Forrestry truck and cleared fallen logs, boulders and such from the trail.
The one in San Berdoo was really good. Mellow in spots, gnarly in spots. Left up the hill somewhere around Foothill and landed back near the 15 way up by the exit before Glen Helen. We had a blast.
Anyway, there are enough Rhino and off-road enthusiasts on the forum for us to get a group together and do an adopt-a-trail locally if we wanted to. I would "sponsor" the project from a time-committed standpoint if people were interested.
What it essentially did was give us great access to a very cool trail out in the middle of nowhere in exchange for rare labor. We always had a blast, and even trundleing the rocks down the valley was a blast. We camped regularly and all got together for runs whenever.
I am going to start trying to find a trail if anyone is down. I would obviously prefer the San Diego area, but I am down with anywhere within 2 hours.
Anyone interested? Rhinos, Jeeps, bikes etc...