Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carb suggestions for TR

Taylorman
    I've sold all the other pieces parts. I still kick myself in the ass for that one. Let em go way too cheap too.
    Greaser and i appreciate you for that Dan.
    Seriously, you should go back to a single carb and single plain intake. You could sell all the stuff you have now and pay for a new intake and carb. I recently switched from tunnel ram with dual 600's to a single plain and a 750 dominator. Man what a difference. That dam carb is super responsive and runs great. You can pick them up on ebay for $500.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/holle...0QQihZ006QQite mZ160046005801QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-7...QQihZ011QQitem Z320043996668QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

AzMandella
    AzMandella, at least you could have thrown a quick spit shine on those velocity stacks before you snapped that pic...j/k
    Yeah I know.I just happen to take those pics to send to someone else before I got to wash the boat after a trip.Besides I know how good it looks when all poliched up.

GofastRacer
    Yeah I know.I just happen to take those pics to send to someone else before I got to wash the boat after a trip.Besides I know how good it looks when all poliched up.
    Hey Marvin, I know how to get rid of those flower pots!..

AzMandella
    Hey Marvin, I know how to get rid of those flower pots!..
    Don't worry Art I'm going to do a MFI setup on the engine for the 21'er.So be ready to help me dial it in. Will not be any time soon but it wont be to long either.

GofastRacer
    Don't worry Art I'm going to do a MFI setup on the engine for the 21'er.So be ready to help me dial it in. Will not be any time soon but it wont be to long either.
    No problem at all!..

That's some real good input fellas and thanks for that.
    Here's my line of thinking.
    1. I've got the tunnelram and it works fine (other than the poor mileage).
    At this point in time, I don't have any plans to go back to a single carb
    setup. I'd have to buy another intake and carb to do that, and I can change carbs on the TR much cheaper than that.
    2. I'm thinking that fuel economy-wise it would be better to go with the
    vacume sec carbs and my buddies that run them on BBFs with similar
    component get some pretty fair mileage. In fact, they're both pretty much
    convinced that their mileage hasn't suffered at all following the TR install.
    3. Wishing like hell that someone had some experience with these mech sec carbs I'm looking at, cause I'd sure like to give em a go. I have to admit
    that the $200 price tag is inviting as well. Can't touch a new pair of vac sec carbs for that price. By looking at the linkage I can't believe that they'd be as bad as the 660s are on gas.
    4. Still not sure just what I'm gonna do here though. I put the 660s up for sale in the spam section, but no bites yet.
    I do appreciate ya'll posting up with your thoughts on this deal.
    Dan

Blown 472
    That's some real good input fellas and thanks for that.
    Here's my line of thinking.
    1. I've got the tunnelram and it works fine (other than the poor mileage).
    At this point in time, I don't have any plans to go back to a single carb
    setup. I'd have to buy another intake and carb to do that, and I can change carbs on the TR much cheaper than that.
    2. I'm thinking that fuel economy-wise it would be better to go with the
    vacume sec carbs and my buddies that run them on BBFs with similar
    component get some pretty fair mileage. In fact, they're both pretty much
    convinced that their mileage hasn't suffered at all following the TR install.
    3. Wishing like hell that someone had some experience with these mech sec carbs I'm looking at, cause I'd sure like to give em a go. I have to admit
    that the $200 price tag is inviting as well. Can't touch a new pair of vac sec carbs for that price. By looking at the linkage I can't believe that they'd be as bad as the 660s are on gas.
    4. Still not sure just what I'm gonna do here though. I put the 660s up for sale in the spam section, but no bites yet.
    I do appreciate ya'll posting up with your thoughts on this deal.
    Dan
    Why not a pair of 750's then you have room to grow motta wise, keep your foot out of it and it might not be so bad on gas.
    From what I understand those 660 both throttle blades open at the same time, a drag race carb is all they are and I am sure milage would suck with them.

DUCKY
    Jeg's 600VS (http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10271)
    You can get a Holley Reman #1850 600 v/s for just over $200. I can't seem to find the old 450 v/s Maybe it's been discontinued....

LakesOnly
    The 660's have 1:1 throttle linkage between the primary & secondaries, so you have no choice but to open up all 8 barrels simultaneously every time you step on the foot throttle. That's where a good part of your gas mileage is going.
    Put two mechanical 600's or 750's on it that have progressive primary/secondary linkage. This way, the secondaries don't open until you are 2/3 - 3/4 full throttle...and you can feel the secondaries opening with your right foot. This will be easy to monitor while you are motoring around on the primaries alone. Also, it will be close to running a single 4 (while both carbs are on just the primaries), except that 4 throttle plates will be atomizing air/fuel instead of 2...and this will overall still be less than one WOT 660 center squirter, even if you have two 750's running on the primaries at just part throttle. As a matter of fact, Herc had two 750's on his 466 and he got really great fuel economy, so good that it shocked me because I had become so used to my 660's...which can empty both my tanks in twenty minutes if I really try. You might want to ask Herc how often he had to tank up.
    LO
    p.s. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the 450's aren even rated for cfm the way the real 4-bbl carbs are, and that the actually flow a lot less than most believe...I think they yuse the 2-bbl vacuum rating, but I might be mistaken on this. (EDIT: Same rating, just that a 2-bbl 450 cfm flows differently than a 4-bbl 450 cfm. LO) One thing for sure, though...those 8 tiny venturis are way too small for a sustained 5000+ rpm 466.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123