Thread: Whats so good about crank atyriggers

Please explaine the pros and cons of crank triggers?

beaverretriever
    IMHO, crank triggers are less complicated than a normal distributor. Crank triggers eliminate the inaccuracies inherent in a distributor-triggered ignition system. You will get a much more accurate signal.
    Although, unless you are trying to gain/extract every last, tiny bit of power (and you have done everything else) I wouldnt worry about it.
    Good luck.

Fiat48
    Accuracy.
    Go to the MSD sight and look around. They did some testing on a fuel car and how much the timing moves around before and after a crank trigger during a run.

this from another site, this guy is is a total stickler about these crank trigger wires but it makes sence.. Im putting one on my boat for the 07' season.
    MSD crank triggers and ignition boxes are very sensitive to interference from sparkplugs firing, electric fans and electric water pumps or even nitrous solenoids turning on or off. This type of interference is called Electro Magnetic Interference or EMI. When MSD crank triggers are used the cable running from the crank trigger back to the MSD ignition box becomes an antenna for picking up all the EMI being generated by anything electrical on the motors and causes the MDS ignition box to randomly fire. This random firing can cause serious damage to a motor or may just cause it to backfire or just pop through the exhaust or just not run right. Sometimes this EMI will cause the ignition box to fire at a time that will take out one or more pistons and will appear like detonation. These problems may just take out a piston every 20 to 30 races or every other race.
    To fix this problem MSD has made a special new crank trigger cable, MSD Part #8862. This new cable is shielded internally and has a separate ground wire for the shield. To see if you have this new cable check the connecting plug at the end of the crank trigger cable that is closest to the MSD ignition box and see if it has a separate black ground wire or not. The new 8862 shielded cable has a separate black wire with a lug on it to be attached to chassis ground. If you do not have this new shielded cable then I highly recommend that you get one. If you have this new cable but have not attached the ground wire to chassis ground then you should do hat as soon as possible.
    I also advise that even with the new 8862 shielded cable that you still run it as far away from any other wires and as far away from electric motors as possible

Unchained
    And the next step beyond the crank trigger is to go distributorless.
    The next EFI box I buy will have this capability.
    It gives the coils 4 times the amount of time to charge between firing and eliminates the distributor rotor.