Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIFFERENT PROP ?

blownschiada
    DO i NEED A NEW PROP?19 FOOT SCHIADA,BLOWN 540, 38:1 GEARS,6500RPM,WITH A 11 1/2 15 STELLING PROP.THE PROB IS THE BOAT FEELS REALLY LOOSE AT HIGH SPEEDS AT 2 CLICKS INTO THE DOWN PLATES YOU CAN SEE FIN &STRUT.

Costello
    I'm not the expert, you need to call Tom at the top of the page...BUT that sounds about close to what pitch and diameter most guys run on that style of boat. It seems the bigger issue is your "clicks" of the plate. I'm assuming you have no foot pedal. I've seen your boat, it's beautiful and I'm sure it's making some decent steam. With that much horsepower, I think a foot pedal on your down instead of the clicker, would probably give you the seat of the pants driveability you need with that much power. If you get in trouble and need downpedal you'll never get it quick enough with the handle adjustment. I have one myself, and it's not real convenient. I'm only running a whopping 62 mph or so in mine so it's not real critical. Let's see what some of the other high horsepower V-bottom players have to say regarding their setups.

blownschiada
    costello I agree with you on the foot override,I,m in the process of gathering th parts to install one rite now.I want to get controll of the boat so I can unleash some more power to th water,I have the blower under driven 13.8% and its only makeing 5 pounds of boost.I want to bring it up to 10 pounds but not until I get the down pedal installed and get this thing uner controll,Then I will see what this thing can do.BY yhe way I finally got a good turbo 400 in this thing it works much nicer than the glide,second gear leaves really hard then shifting into drive is great!!!

superdave013
    What is the angle of the strut? My 20 has a 9 deg and was pretty loose with the 460" turbo deal. That was with a 37 gear and an 11 3/8 X 16 two blade menkens. I am being told to lay the strut down to 7.5 or so before I stick the 572" deal in it. I don't want to mess with it but I don't want my boat to handle like a freak show. What to do, what to do?

Infomaniac
    My first thought is, regardless of pedal or handle. If you need down while running flat out. The initial adjustment on the plates needs looked at. After that maybe the engine location.

schiada96
    SD what does Lee say adout your strut angle?
    I know we have different boats but mine is 7.5 degrees.

Costello
    Good point with the motor position as well Info. It may be happy if you moved it forward some.

blownschiada
    Superdave the strut is a 9 degree.The motor is 21 inches from transom and the vdrive is at 96inches.I really dont want to change the strut.Is it possible that the prop I am running could be causing the bow to lift?Are there other props that could make transom lift makeing the nose roll over???

boatguy222
    Originally posted by blownschiada:
    DO i NEED A NEW PROP?19 FOOT SCHIADA,BLOWN 540, 38:1 GEARS,6500RPM,WITH A 11 1/2 15 STELLING PROP.THE PROB IS THE BOAT FEELS REALLY LOOSE AT HIGH SPEEDS AT 2 CLICKS INTO THE DOWN PLATES YOU CAN SEE FIN &STRUT.
    Blown,
    We have rigged a couple of these boat, although they didn't have the horsepower that you are running, but they did ski race in the mid 70's. Your set up look about the same as we were running then, With the gears, prop and rpm, you have got be going way over 100mph,pretty fast for that boat.
    I would find someone who could take some of the "lift" out of you prop, have you had the prop reworked? There are a couple of guys who are doing it now, Tom at the top of the page should be able to help you.
    I really don't think thay you would be happy with a smaller pitch of diamenter, but I do have a 11 3/8X15 Cary propeller, I would sell if your interested in going smaller.
    Good Luck,
    Marc

V-Drive Tom
    Blownschiada, The plates DO need to be referenced with a straight edge, not handle position.(as infomaniac said) I would try a higher rake, large eared two blade that we make. It would in effect position the prop ears further back. If you buy a new propeller from me you will get the guarantee that your happy and your boat is improved! With the power and speed that your going, this will be walking a fine line with high speed handling. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast