Thread: Merc 6.2 Mpi Horizon water temp

beaverretriever
    Just had the 20hr done (actually did it at 18) and took the boat out sunday. It was sitting at 180. Never went higher. I just dont remember it running that high.
    I did a ton of searches and didnt come up with anything. What should the water temp be at pretty hard running? Im guessing a hair lower at around 170.
    Thanks in advance.

spectras only
    I have twin 6.2's with raw water cooling . Merc using a 160* thermostat [ triple star Ultra low emmisions] that's too hot for my liking . I swapped it out to a 140 * T without any ill effect on the Smart Craft system . I use an IR thermo gauge to read oil pan , intake , block etc.... temps and found it way too hot . The drive temperatures are running constant 230 *that's acceptable for me without a shower .Ps; for the cost of MPI engines , Merc should have oil coolers installed besides the power steering coolers :idea: :hammer2:

beaverretriever
    I have twin 6.2's with raw water cooling . Merc using a 160* thermostat [ triple star Ultra low emmisions] that's too hot for my liking . I swapped it out to a 140 * T without any ill effect on the Smart Craft system . I use an IR thermo gauge to read oil pan , intake , block etc.... temps and found it way too hot . The drive temperatures are running constant 230 *that's acceptable for me without a shower .Ps; for the cost of MPI engines , Merc should have oil coolers installed besides the power steering coolers :idea: :hammer2:
    I talked to a couple of Merc techs today. They said that 180 was right on. They said 190 was not out of the question on the 6.2.

spectras only
    Merc techs will follow guidelines . My 160* thermostat also gave a 180* reading on the smartcraft . Many late model vehicles with high temps thermostats develop oil leaks caused by caked seals . My 96 Mustang GT has a factory cast aluminum oil cooler sandwiched between an adapter and the oil filter . Oil temp caked the inner "O" ring on the cooler's retainer shaft so bad it fell apart like dust .There's a weep hole on the cooler to let you know it's time to replace the "O" ring . Had similar problems with rear main seals being brittle by excessive oil temperature . Boats running uphill all the time , there should be oil coolers for them , IMHO !