Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil temp sender location

Bow Tie Omega
    Hey all. I have a question. I have a Milidon Jet Boat pan for the BTO. It does not have a bung welded to the pan for the oil temp sender. Being that the motor is already in the boat, to resolve this in an as easy as possible kind of way, I was thinking of running a brass tee off of the outlet for the oil pressure sender and on one side of the tee, have the temp sender and on the other side of the tee have the oil pressure sender. Do you guys see any problems with this and if so, why. Thanks in advance...Joe

fujimo
    I'm not positive but I don;t think you'll get enough oil flow yhere to get a accurate reading. I think it should really be in the pan. Roy

Bow Tie Omega
    I hear what you are saying, but this is where the oil pressure sender goes. If there is enough pressure and circulation for the oil pressure sender to work properly, then I would think that it would be more then good enough for obtaining an oil temp as well. It is still a closed circuit, It is not leaking down. That is my thinking anyways

cruser
    My temp sender is located there also but I do not read much temperature. Hard to tell if the oil is cool or the sensor is not getting a good read. I am thinking about pulling the drain plug and mounting the sensor there.

Bow Tie Omega
    That is actually a good idea, Run a reducer and make the reducer/ sender your plug.

Sending unit really needs to be in the pan. Using the oil drain plug as a sending unit also is very common on dynos. Works just fine. Just don't let your neighbor change the oil for you and tell you he cut that wire off the plug!!!!

you are wasting your time anywhere except the pan. The tee idea does not work because pressure and flow are two differant things. there is zero flow at the pressure sender, just pressure. Plus you want to know what the temp is of the bulk of the oil before it goes into the cooler.

Robbie Racer
    If you are running an oil cooler, do you still recommend that the temperature sender be located in the pan? My motor builder thought it would be better to be located on the "exit" side of the cooler to better monitor the temperature of the oil as it went back into the motor.

Bajajet
    Mine is in the oil gallery right after the filter. It's a Ford though. It may be getting somewhat of a heat sink effect from the block but it is the oil running back into the engine and it is a relative indicator for me. Oil pan would be nice though.

YeLLowBoaT
    If you are running an oil cooler, do you still recommend that the temperature sender be located in the pan? My motor builder thought it would be better to be located on the "exit" side of the cooler to better monitor the temperature of the oil as it went back into the motor.
    I would think it would be best to have the high temp rather then the low temp. i'm not a expert, just stating IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast