Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why The F Do You Guys Put Turbos On Your Boats !?!?

LVjetboy
    Hallet19,
    Just trying for a rise out of the v-drive guys. Still fishing for clues on how fast a typical 400 hp lake v-drive goes. Not many willing to offer. Very tough to get numbers from this crowd.
    I do believe v's are more efficient than jets. But I'm also thinking a well setup and blueprinted jet can come close, with the added benefit of no transfer case and no prop on the bottom. Of course top speed depends on hull and weight. But a lot of v's are small light-weight flat bottoms from what I've heard, so factor that when you look at top speed. Your Hallet hull maybe heavier?
    My jet may compare to those light-weight flat bottoms in hull weight and somewhat in drag, but I go 83.6 mph with about 400 hp. That in a lake boat with stereo+. How many 19' lake v's can match this? I know some v's out there with mild BB's that don't. And some do. No matter the drive, a good setup and hull can make all the difference. So don't judge jets too harshly based on what you got now.
    jer

jer just take your speed and add about 10-20 mph for a vdrive with equal power. there, how's that?

Unchained
    LVjetboy
    Still fishing for clues on how fast a typical 400 hp lake v-drive goes. Not many willing to offer. Very tough to get numbers from this crowd.
    I do believe v's are more efficient than jets. But I'm also thinking a well setup and blueprinted jet can come close,
    jer [/QB]I agree, what I see running around in vdrives that are for recreational use are not that fast because only 1 in 20 guys know how to set them up right. With jet boats only 1 in 50 guys knows how to set them up right. It seems like everyone (including me) wants to compare their boat to a similar race boat that has run real fast and that is never the case in reality.
    If you want to see what the ET or speed difference is between a jet and a vdrive in a well set up drag boat with a similar engine you just look at the record books.
    www.dragboatreviewonline.com

Kindsvater Flat
    Mine v-drive is REALLY fast. Just Check out my GPS.

LVjetboy
    Rex, not good enough...I wanna see real 18-19' lake v-drive GPS's and rpm's. 10 mph + my speed, maybe?? I'm thinking a stretch. 20 mph + my speed...dream on! I've been around hot boats for awhile. I already have Info's and Sangster's numbers, thanks guys.
    BTW, I noticed you stock liquid-filled Autometer 0-35 psi gages. I'll be ordering two to answer that big block pressure drop question. I rarely forget a challenge... You remember?
    Unchained, you have a good point.
    Jetters and v-drivers as a group may differ in motivation and level of setup. And comparing drive types; between hp, hull weight, drag and setup...setup is the hardest to pin down.
    Your link....race results filter out a lot of variables, but stray from my original question...the typical lake boater.
    I wanna know how a typical lake v-drive compares to a typical lake jet drive for top speed? With actual results. Assuming both drives set up well, and both hulls 18-19 foot, and both mild engines. Say running on 91 or maybe even 89 octane (dock gas - as in lake running) with a pax, stereo, cooler, anchor, etc...all the usual lake thingy's. I know what this means to jets, but v's??
    Though jet boaters seem ready to share top speed GPS and rpm, I've found very few lake v-drivers sharing the same info. Why is this? Are they so fast they don't even care? Unlikely. I've found the faster I go the faster I wanna go...and am happy to posting speeds. So how about it?
    Just wondering,
    jer

LVjetboy
    Kindsvater,
    Ya ok.
    Don't mean to put you on the spot, but from the (old?) video/audio, I'm guessing less than 5k rpm? Your have what looks like a dual carb tunnel rammed mild BB v-drive...not race setup. I'd be surprised if you're seeing low to mid 70's? But I don't mean to dis your rig...I love the looks. Just wondering...what do you run?
    jer
    [ March 22, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

Kindsvater Flat
    LVjetboy:
    Kindsvater,
    Ya ok.
    Don't mean to put you on the spot, but from the (old?) video/audio, I'm guessing less than 5k rpm? Your have what looks like a dual carb tunnel rammed mild BB v-drive...not race setup. I'd be surprised if you're seeing low to mid 70's? But I don't mean to dis your rig...I love the looks. Just wondering...what do you run?
    jer Mine runs honest high 70's, once I hit 81 on gps. It has 12% gears with a 3 blade prop. Its strictly used to pull the kids on tubes and skiing. Top rpm is 6700 in choppy water. BTW the boat/trailer full of fuel weighs just over 3600lbs.

LVjetboy
    Thanks Kindsvater,
    I recognize that Etrex! BTW, "WAIT... TRACKING SATELLITES" with no compass direction a dead give-away. As opposed to "READY TO NAVIGATE" Accuracy 16 ft:

Above my run with two (heavy) pax...lake trim.
    Mine runs honest high 70's, once I hit 81 on gpsThat's really what I'm wondering. Your 6700 rpm seems high from audio, but hard to tell and just a guess on my part...how that compares to a jet I don't know. Seems props way different in the rpm vs. speed department. I run 5000 rpm at top speed on "small" B Berkeley impeller. Regular size is A...similar to a small prop? I donno. With two pax that's 79.6 mph at 70 degrees, as you see above. With one pax (the driver me) that = 83.6 mph. A 4 mph gain with 160 lbs less.
    Your engine details? Do you have a guess on hp? I'm thinking about the same as me (400-415)? I have a 454 tunnel ram (twin carbs as you) with 9.5 to 1 compression.
    BTW Kindsvater, I appreciate you sharing numbers. And from reading your other posts I think you're cool. I'm a numbers guy and always searching for truth...sometimes as a challenge, sometimes not, controversial at times, but always searching for truth...
    jer
    [ March 22, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

Unchained
    LVjetboy:
    Rex, not good enough...I wanna see real 18-19' lake v-drive GPS's and rpm's. 10 mph + my speed, maybe?? I'm thinking a stretch. 20 mph + my speed...dream on! I've been around hot boats for awhile. I already have Info's and Sangster's numbers, thanks guys.
    Jetters and v-drivers as a group may differ in motivation and level of setup. And comparing drive types; between hp, hull weight, drag and setup...setup is the hardest to pin down.
    I wanna know how a typical lake v-drive compares to a typical lake jet drive for top speed? With actual results. Assuming both drives set up well, and both hulls 18-19 foot, and both mild engines. Say running on 91 or maybe even 89 octane (dock gas - as in lake running) with a pax, stereo, cooler, anchor, etc...all the usual lake thingy's. I know what this means to jets, but v's??
    Though jet boaters seem ready to share top speed GPS and rpm, I've found very few lake v-drivers sharing the same info. Why is this? Are they so fast they don't even care? Unlikely. I've found the faster I go the faster I wanna go...and am happy to posting speeds. So how about it?
    jer This is serious, All BS will have to be put aside. You'll be bursting the "V-Drive advantage" bubble.
    The guy I bought my JJCheyenne from sold me the jet boat to buy a Sanger flatbottom. He ran 100 mph in the jet and put the same motor in the flat and ran 89 mph. I seen it run.
    He told me he was selling the jet boat because it was boring to drive.
    ???????
    I guess controllable and stable must be boring.

I've seen some hydros out on the water while boating and they were supposed to run fast but there was never water smooth enough for them so it was a moot point. Same with flats. It's always, "if it was smooth I could really run".

LVjetboy
    Not sure Unchained. Just wondering.
    Of course there's the thrill factor. Magnified by the inherent instability of the flat bottom design. Controllable is a bit boring as opposed to unstable...I understand that well. Not a good measure of speed or efficiency. My hull is unstable in big water compare to say a deep V-bottom hull. A big V hull's comfort point certainly higher than mine depending on water surface conditions.
    Regarless of hull designs, I still lean towards v drive's as more efficient from the lack of pump housing water friction. Not intending to rain on the jet parade, as I appreciate the advantage of a jet. Just wondering how much?
    Questioning the numbers at this point...
    Any takers?
    jer
    [ March 22, 2003, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast