Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why The F Do You Guys Put Turbos On Your Boats !?!?

LVjetboy:
    Rex, not good enough...I wanna see real 18-19' lake v-drive GPS's and rpm's. 10 mph + my speed, maybe?? I'm thinking a stretch. 20 mph + my speed...dream on! I've been around hot boats for awhile. I already have Info's and Sangster's numbers, thanks guys.
    BTW, I noticed you stock liquid-filled Autometer 0-35 psi gages. I'll be ordering two to answer that big block pressure drop question. I rarely forget a challenge... You remember?
    Unchained, you have a good point.
    Jetters and v-drivers as a group may differ in motivation and level of setup. And comparing drive types; between hp, hull weight, drag and setup...setup is the hardest to pin down.
    Your link....race results filter out a lot of variables, but stray from my original question...the typical lake boater.
    I wanna know how a typical lake v-drive compares to a typical lake jet drive for top speed? With actual results. Assuming both drives set up well, and both hulls 18-19 foot, and both mild engines. Say running on 91 or maybe even 89 octane (dock gas - as in lake running) with a pax, stereo, cooler, anchor, etc...all the usual lake thingy's. I know what this means to jets, but v's??
    Though jet boaters seem ready to share top speed GPS and rpm, I've found very few lake v-drivers sharing the same info. Why is this? Are they so fast they don't even care? Unlikely. I've found the faster I go the faster I wanna go...and am happy to posting speeds. So how about it?
    Just wondering,
    jer you do have to admit it got your attention jer...

FLYTE RISK
    LV , and unchained take this crap back to the jet boat forum or bench racers! Unchained your boat goes 100? How do you know that? I seriously doubt any 100 m.p.h jet boat is gonna be out in rough water. Just ask BBT his jet boat is light! Also the won who beat BBT only ran 104 at ming last weekend. So no frickan way! Sorry to burst your bubble but dont beleive everything the seller says. eek!

FLYTE RISK
    Oh BTW Lv go to N.J.B.A.net and compare the #s between ski jet and ski flat this should answer your question! Have a good one wink

LVjetboy
    Flyte Risk,
    I'm not talking about BBT or his first performance. I'm not talking about NJBA or any other sanctioned race. Race results a function of $$$, reaction time, experience, luck and other factors. I'm just talking about typical everyday lake jets and typical everyday lake v-drives. I don't drag race my jet in sanctioned events and may never. Also I seriously doubt any jet or v-drive will run 100 mph in rough water...copy?
    Seller? What the h*ll does that have to do with anything? I'm just posting my question to the v-drivers in the v-drive forum...seems appropriate to me. Not sure why you think this is "crap" but all opinions welcome.
    jer
    [ March 22, 2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

Kindsvater Flat
    The 534 mph was in flight on southwest airlines. As far as my motor goes its 12.5:1 with stock 906 heads, no port work. Carbs are 600 holleys with vacuum secondaries. As far as the movies go, none of them were wide open throttle runs. I think I do have some but will have to edit a tape.

LVjetboy
    Thanks for the info. Kindsvater,
    Seems like 12.5:1 is really high for gas these days, but I'm no engine guy. I've got stock LS-6 heads. Also got dual Holley 715's w/vacuums but I pinned them for 1 mph more top speed...not recommended from what I've heard. I think your 600's a better combo. The secondaries opening on launch sound cool though.
    I'd love to see your wide open videos...
    jer

Kindsvater Flat
    You are going to have to wait on the wide open stuff. I just looked at the tape and there are none. A take off one thats posted, one of it jumping up and down. And an idle wav.
    Hop.mpg

LVjetboy
    That's sweet Kindsvater. Hadn't seen the hopping video. Nice! I think I read you got some engine upgrades in the works? Not sure these days (of my memory) that is. Wishing the best from a jetter...
    jer

schiada96
    her ya go 60 mph 3000 rpm. Are you talkin about a stock berkley vs a stock v-drive your going to gain 15+ mph

superdave013
    Hey LV, I don't know what my first flat really ran. They didn't have GPS back then. And we didn't have radar guns as we spent all our cash on gas, grass and chasin ass if you know what I'm sayin. (Early 20's was so fun)
    For a lake jet it sounds like yours in an above ave. deal to me. You must have your set up dialed in for what you've got.
    What you otta do is bring that puppy to the Needles bash. Needles is not that far from you. There will be flats & hydros of all shapes and sizes. Lots will be typ. river deals. You should come on down and see how you stack up with a few of them. I'm not talking pairing up with the blown alki guys. Maybe pair up with a few that have single carbs or a tunnel ram set up like you have. All in fun of course.
    Plus, I've never met you yet and would like to. Hey, most likely my boat won't be done so I'ed also like to mooch a ride in that deal of yours too. I'll by the beer and gas. What do ya say?
    [ March 22, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast