Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roller cam bearings

cyclone
    what do you mean installation is expensive? Are you referring to boring the cam tunnell or actually installing the cam bearings?
    he probably meant machining. installing them is not too difficult with the right tool.

LakesOnly
    Yes, and Yes. They do block off the holes to the cam bearings. Roller cam bearings are fine with the splash of oil from the rotating assembly so they do not need the pressure fed oil. Now that the engine does not need as much oil you can slow down your oil pump (if running a dry sump or external pump) to save HP. If you are running a normal wet sump system then you don't need to run a high volume pump therefore reducing drag just like with the dry sump.
    Now you do need to have the cam tunnel bored for them which usually costs a fair chunk. Usually going to roller cam bearings you end up going to a big core cam (55mm or bigger) which helps reduce the cam twist and flex from big spring pressures. Most do not go this route unless they have already done every other trick to make power and still need just a few more ponies.
    While we are on the topic, I have a question. Is anyone making roller cam bearings for standard Chevy cams?
    PaulThey also greatly reduce the risk of spinning a cam bearing at startup in a big valve spring motor that has sqeezed every last bit of oil from the cam bearings because of the big valve spring pressure while the motor sat. Also, the elimination of 5 leaks in the engine reduces the amount of oil getting caught up in the rotating assy on its way back to the pan.
    In regards to your final question in your post, the camshaft must be made from 8620 billet steel, or perhaps at least the bearing races. I would think that a standard casted chebby cam core wouldn't stand a chance.
    By the way, did you guys know that this was originally a Ford item? Even when they first became available in GM-based performance blocks...if you went to the GM parts dealer, the guy behind the parts counter would hand you a part number and send you to a Ford dealership for the needle roller bearings...originally.
    LO

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    .By the way, did you guys know that this was originally a Ford item? Even when they first became available in GM-based performance blocks...if you went to the GM parts dealer, the guy behind the parts counter would hand you a part number and send you to a Ford dealership for the needle roller bearings...originally.
    LO
    There you go again paul. Stop rainning on our parade How ya been? Havent heard much from ya lately. Whatcha got up ya sleeve Good to see that your still breathing brotha You got 460 jus getn it hooked on that stroker kit. He will probablly be doing it sooner or later

he probably meant machining. installing them is not too difficult with the right tool.
    the part where he said "the last set was $400" kinda threw me for a loop.
    I hear 60mm cam tunnels are getting popular now, i wonder which blocks can go there..

fc-pilot
    The question about "standard cam Chevy’s" was in regards to the bearing diameter. No way would I spend the money to have roller cam bearings with a flat tappet cam. It would be nice to swap standard roller cams (because they are much cheaper than the 55mm cores) while testing cams on the dyno while running roller cam bearings. Just a crazy idea I would like to play with.
    Wannaberacing (Buzzz) was referring to the machining cost to be able to put them in. Also, LakesOnly is right about the reduced windage due to the oil supply to the bearings being plugged. I don't know for sure which blocks can go to the 60mm cams or not. I knew that was something that I did not need so I never did any research.
    Paul

SmokinLowriderSS
    They also greatly reduce the risk of spinning a cam bearing at startup in a big valve spring motor that has sqeezed every last bit of oil from the cam bearings because of the big valve spring pressure while the motor sat. Also, the elimination of 5 leaks in the engine reduces the amount of oil getting caught up in the rotating assy on its way back to the pan.
    In regards to your final question in your post, the camshaft must be made from 8620 billet steel, or perhaps at least the bearing races. I would think that a standard casted chebby cam core wouldn't stand a chance.
    By the way, did you guys know that this was originally a Ford item? Even when they first became available in GM-based performance blocks...if you went to the GM parts dealer, the guy behind the parts counter would hand you a part number and send you to a Ford dealership for the needle roller bearings...originally.
    LO
    I actually did, but only because that is where I found out about them about a year ago, on some old Ford racing blocks, from the big-block days. Never had heard of it before, was really wild.

blowngas
    Crower used to sell cams and roller bearings in the 60's----if I remember it was called the "Imperial"-----Garlits and Kalitta used to run them back then!!----only thing was, no one had a decent valve spring!!!

Robbie Racer
    how long do roller cam bearings last compared to regular bearings?
    Chris, I had 300 hours on the roller cam bearings on my Merlin Pro block (with 55mm cam). They were still in good shape when I changed blocks last year. I bought a new Dart Big M tall deck block and Dart charged me $260 for the 55mm roller cam upgrade. Then I paid $21 each for 5 roller cam bearings (total $107). My motor builder charged me 1 hour labor ($75) to install the bearings. Dart also charged me $200 for the large lifter bore upgrade when I bought the block. So far I have about 50 hours on this motor and expect the cam bearings to last until at least 500 hours. Hope that helps answer your questions. RR

lilrick
    sounds reasonable

84camaro
    can you get tem for a standard cam.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast