Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which way does it go? Cav plate hardware

Infomaniac
    I am trashing these round single bolt pads. Broke too many of them now they pulled through the plate.
    Bought these 4 bolt pads and the pin bushing is offset to one end of it.
    Does the pin bushing go toward the end of the plate or to the inside toward the boat?
    Have upgraded eye levers and also to these 7/16 turnbuckles. The smaller ones snap off after only a few times to the lake. Only on the center pad.
    It is unreal how the boat dances around when one of these breaks or pulls loose. I rarely use the pedal. The plates sure are working though.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/211Which_way.jpg[/img]
    [ July 01, 2003, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

GofastRacer
    This ain't a good pic but if this is what you have, it goes this way!. Hope this helps!..

superdave013
    Pin towards the transom.

SK48
    It must be O.K. to run them in either direction. My new to me Hallett has them pin toward the rear of the cavitation plate, my Biesemeyer has them pin toward the transom of the boat, and my neighbors 21 Rayson craft has them pin toward the back of the cavitation plate. Good question.

most are designed for pin towards transom. Ron you might have to go to 5/8 on those center ones to stop the breakin. Common problem on fast ski race boats too with small turnbuckles.

GofastRacer
    Or add an extra one like the circle boats have!..

FlatRacer
    You want to put the pin bushing foward (toward the hull) so as to make the turnbuckle as close to vertical as is practical. The reason for this is so that you get more plate travel per pedal movement. See?
    FR

Infomaniac
    Yes I see. wink I was wondering about that.
    Thanks guys.
    I was considering extending the plates for some more action. It would put more angle on the turnbuckle.
    Maybe a longer eye lever would allow more plate length.
    What is the best angle of the eye lever? Mine is about 45 degrees now.
    Also how far inboard from the end of the plate can you put the pad? And it still work well.
    [ July 02, 2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Infomaniac
    GofastRacer:
    This ain't a good pic but if this is what you have, it goes this way!. Hope this helps!..
    I just noticed. You have about the same amount of plate under the boat as extends out. Where does it start to bend? at the transom?

GofastRacer
    No, it starts just behind the bolts which are about an inch in from the edge of the plate!..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast