Thread: Yo lakes

Blown 472
    what is an unmolested set of C8's worth??

LakesOnly
    Really depends who wants them. Could be from $50-$350. Same as D0VE, as I'm sure you know.
    A guy restoring a 1968 Lincoln would need period correct C8VE-A's or C8VE-E's and might pay a pretty penny for them. On the flipside, with all the aluminum heads becoming available and unfortunately some of which are JUNK and therefore inexpensive, the early iron castings start to look like they have less value. The joke about this is that the cheapo aluminum heads offer little power improvement over the classic factory iron in many cases. Also, guys running a race class that requires factory iron will pay for a quality set of original castings, such as a truck puller. And then there are guys that love to pop the hood and show what appears to be a factory iron 466 and then smoke the competition with what is really a 521 under the hood.
    Generally and from a performance standpoint, I personally feel that a 30-year old pair of true virgin iron castings (C8, C9 or D0) that haven't even had the seats cut since the factory hold their value...absolutely. To me, they're a blank canvas capable of outstanding HP for most of the builds we do over here. Were you closer, Blown, I'd get them from you myself. We retail them for $289 outright (bare, cleaned and blasted), but usually give a substantial discount when they are purchased with a port job/where we provide the entire cylinder head assemblies fully reworked and ready to bolt on.
    LO

Blown 472
    Really depends who wants them. Could be from $50-$350. Same as D0VE, as I'm sure you know.
    A guy restoring a 1968 Lincoln would need period correct C8VE-A's or C8VE-E's and might pay a pretty penny for them. On the flipside, with all the aluminum heads becoming available and unfortunately some of which are JUNK and therefore inexpensive, the early iron castings start to look like they have less value. The joke about this is that the cheapo aluminum heads offer little power improvement over the classic factory iron in many cases. Also, guys running a race class that requires factory iron will pay for a quality set of original castings, such as a truck puller. And then there are guys that love to pop the hood and show what appears to be a factory iron 466 and then smoke the competition with what is really a 521 under the hood.
    Generally and from a performance standpoint, I personally feel that a 30-year old pair of true virgin iron castings (C8, C9 or D0) that haven't even had the seats cut since the factory hold their value...absolutely. To me, they're a blank canvas capable of outstanding HP for most of the builds we do over here. Were you closer, Blown, I'd get them from you myself. We retail them for $289 outright (bare, cleaned and blasted), but usually give a substantial discount when they are purchased with a port job/where we provide the entire cylinder head assemblies fully reworked and ready to bolt on.
    LO
    Cool thanks dude, I am going clean em mag em and throw them on ebay.

LakesOnly
    I've gotten as much as $275 + ship on ebay, but $150 is much more like it these days.
    The trouble with ebay is that the castings weigh about 60 pounds each (120 lbs total. or more) and so most people bid very little due to exhorbitant shipping costs (which may be as much as $50/per head, or $100 above ebay auction closing price).
    And unfortunately, many people seem to want "DOVE" heads and are completely unaware that what you have are basically the same thing, and so fewer bidders fight for your auction of C8's (ironically, I prefer C8VEs over D0VEs).
    Finally, there seems to be a lot of sellers as of late that are throwing the early iron castings onto Ebay and thereby flooding the market. I suspect that this is mostly due to the arrival of the ProComp aluminum head which is also available on ebay (bare, like your C8's) for about $850/pair. The joke about that is, 1) the ProComp's are little more than an aluminum D3VE head with an improved exhaust port, as far as I'm concerned, and, 2) by the time the aluminum ProCraps are fully set up with valve train componentry the consumer is really behind the 8-ball performance-wise versus money spent. But the majority of people just getting into the 385 Series Ford haven't figured this out yet...and so they are tossing their harder-than-ever-to-get factory iron, not knowing that they can make as much power as brand x iron...if not more.
    If you need the buck fifty, then go for it. Or, you could hold them for now and maybe build yourself a little 500-inch street terror down the road...grind on them in your free time. Of course, I suppose I have plenty of them around if you should need a pair sometime later.
    Good luck,
    LO

Blown 472
    I've gotten as much as $275 + ship on ebay, but $150 is much more like it these days.
    The trouble with ebay is that the castings weigh about 60 pounds each (120 lbs total. or more) and so most people bid very little due to exhorbitant shipping costs (which may be as much as $50/per head, or $100 above ebay auction closing price).
    And unfortunately, many people seem to want "DOVE" heads and are completely unaware that what you have are basically the same thing, and so fewer bidders fight for your auction of C8's (ironically, I prefer C8VEs over D0VEs).
    Finally, there seems to be a lot of sellers as of late that are throwing the early iron castings onto Ebay and thereby flooding the market. I suspect that this is mostly due to the arrival of the ProComp aluminum head which is also available on ebay (bare, like your C8's) for about $850/pair. The joke about that is, 1) the ProComp's are little more than an aluminum D3VE head with an improved exhaust port, as far as I'm concerned, and, 2) by the time the aluminum ProCraps are fully set up with valve train componentry the consumer is really behind the 8-ball performance-wise versus money spent. But the majority of people just getting into the 385 Series Ford haven't figured this out yet...and so they are tossing their harder-than-ever-to-get factory iron, not knowing that they can make as much power as brand x iron...if not more.
    If you need the buck fifty, then go for it. Or, you could hold them for now and maybe build yourself a little 500-inch street terror down the road...grind on them in your free time. Of course, I suppose I have plenty of them around if you should need a pair sometime later.
    Good luck,
    LO
    I got a line on a complete 429 thunder jet sporting a set of dove's.

LakesOnly
    I got a line on a complete 429 thunder jet sporting a set of dove's.Check those block numbers, Blown....might be a D0VE-A block. Let me know if it is because I will have further questions/something for you to investigate.
    Block numbers are on the outside rear of cylinder bank and behind the starter motor, and read vertically.
    LO

Blown 472
    Check those block numbers, Blown....might be a D0VE-A block. Let me know if it is because I will have further questions/something for you to investigate.
    Block numbers are on the outside rear of cylinder bank and behind the starter motor, and read vertically.
    LO
    as soon as I get it :crossx: