Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rigging question?

riverdog
    I am new to the flatbottom world and have a rigging question for the board. The motor mounts, (bbc), that came with the boat are angled up slightly towards the v-drive. I am putting a 440 in the boat now. It came out of a hydro and set level on rails. I have made rails for the flat. My quetion is should the motor be angled up or level. The boat is a old baron with a very slight v and a center deck splitting the front from the rear. The drive is a 12 Deg. casale mounted under the split.
    Thanks for any help
    Curt

V-Drive Tom
    RiverDog, The crankshaft of your engine should be in line with the top shaft of the v-drive. To create a little u-joint movement just lower the rear down a quarter inch, or less. (the rear, meaning the balancer end.) TOM..530-885-0531.

Stab-n-Steer
    Tom,
    What about timing of the u-joints? I have always been told to have the front and rear u-joints in line or you will get a vibration... Is this correct?
    S&S

V-Drive Tom
    Stab-n-Steer, Whats with the sad face? Don't be sad or mad, it does't seem to matter. After lining up the engine perfectly in line with the top v-drive shaft, then lowering the back just a bit. You are changing it so little that with a good balanced driveline it just doesn't seem to matter.(Im not a 4-wheel drive expert, but im sure thats when proper u-joint angles start to matter more.) Also by setting up a boat like that it's nice and easy to convert it to solid driveline, because things are already close to being lined up. I learned that method from Gene Deaver, twenty years ago, made sense to me, been doing it eversense.(Leave the funky driveline angles to the 4-wheelers.} http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

S&S, the shaft yokes MUST be inline or it will vibrate and knock out the bearings and u-joints if your teeth don't fall out first. I speak from experence on this, a mechanic that put a driveshaft in my Kenworth got it "1 spline out"....I didn't get down the street before I thought the whole driveline was going to fall out on the ground.

DetroitJim
    I was taught at Chrysler's tech institute that the crankshaft centerline and the pinion (or v-drive) centerlines should be parallel to reduce vibration and harmonics. The two centerlines need not be concentric perfectly, a slight difference will induce the u-joint movement that prevents hobbing in of the needle bearings. In reality, as long as things are pretty much lined up you're fine.
    DJ

riverdog
    Thanks Tom and everybody else. We are lucky to have a forum to go to and get quality info from quality people.If anyone has a question that is paint related please ask. It is my way of giving back.

Riptide01
    Riverdog,
    What is your feeling? Paint or Gelcoat?

Riptide01
    Riverdog,
    What is your feeling? Paint or Gelcoat?

riverdog
    Riptide hard question . First what do you want to accomplish and what will the boat be used for? If kids and dogs will be climbing all over the boat with sandy feet, jumping of of every end, gelcoat.If you want multipal colors like candies pearls or metallices go with paint. Gelcoat is alot more scratch resistant. Clearcoat paint is alot easier to repair, and spot in. Clear is designed to last the life of a vehicle with every day exposure to sun. The life of a vehicle, according to the paint manufactures, is 17 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast