Thread: Help with Holley I.D.

Big Block
    Sorry for the newb question, but I'm not sure how to tell the diff. between say a 650 and 750 etc. I do see some stamped #'s here and there, but nothing that states size or model.
    When I bought the boat the carb had no choke butterflies, still doesn't. Makes is difficult to start when cold, but no probs after it's warmed up. I am looking to get that fixed, and also learn more about how to adjust the jets and so forth. The lakes I am usally on are around 500'-1000' elevation here in Central Cali, but there are also a couple of Mtn lakes (5000'+) I would like to take the boat on. Not sure that the Holley will run right without some tweaking.
    TIA
    Clueless about Carbs....

jag2
    What are the numbers on the piece that the choke flap used to mount to? Should say LIST and then some numbers. Reference those and youll know what your carb started as. http://www.mortec.com/carbs.htm

Moneypitt
    What are the numbers on the piece that the choke flap used to mount to? Should say LIST and then some numbers. Reference those and youll know what your carb started as. http://www.mortec.com/carbs.htm
    Also, the Holley site will tell you which jets, P/Vs, nozzles etc. were in it when new.......MP

Big Block
    Thanks for the link jag2. I got myself a Holley 850, it was listed on that page. Now I need to find some form of repair/maint. manual i.e. info bible on the Holleys.
    Any ideas?

Moneypitt
    Thanks for the link jag2. I got myself a Holley 850, it was listed on that page. Now I need to find some form of repair/maint. manual i.e. info bible on the Holleys.
    Any ideas?
    Most speed/performance will have the HP book on Holleys. I think it has been updated in the last few years, at least I hope so. BTW, read it cover to cover, not just the areas that relate to your carb now...........MP

Big Block
    Thanks moneypit, there is a local race, speed and fuel shop here in town, I'll check them out.

u may also want to ck n see if that carb (850) is rite for ur motor set-up...it may be too big!...a 700/715/750 may be more likeable! for ur combo...just a suggestion
    fastrat

Big Block
    Ya I'm thinking it might be too much carb for this motor. I have 454 bored 30 over (460?) I don't know all the particulars that are on the inside, but i know it has been beefed up. Cam, rollers, crank and rods. Like I said, the carb runs good once the motor is warm. So am I just waisting fuel? I was told the horsepower is right around 500 hp, but it has never been dynoed. Arent Hollley 850's for like 700 hp +?

SmokinLowriderSS
    You can't size a carb on HP, but on engine displacement and RPM. IMO, a mild to modest 450+" motor, will run best (for general use) as said with a 700-750 CFM engine. Some folks on here differ with me, that's want opinions are for. For absolute maximum top RPM HP, yea, the 850 will likely outperform the 700-750, but IMO, it is unlikely to be by much unless the rest of the engine is so optimized that the carb is really being restrictive to it. If the top RPM is 5500 or below, I just don't see it on that size engine unless the engine build is extremely serious.