Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone arguing with the plane conveyor belt thing...

Froggystyle
    Is stupid. It flies. As it has been explained a million times, it flies. The wheels go double the speed, and it rotates and takes off.
    That being said...
    In a purely theoretical world, I have figured out a way that it would be prevented from flying, but it disagrees with everyone who is claiming it won't fly, so you are still wrong on all levels. Assume the following...
    The wheel bearings do generate some resistance when rolling forward. If the conveyor belt truly could increase speed not only exponentially but to an absurd top speed, it could continue counteracting the rotating resistance inherent in the wheel bearings until the airplane's thrust could not overcome the resistance in the wheel bearings. Also assumed but not possible in any case is that the wheels and tires would stay together long enough for this to happen.
    As it has been described, a plane on a dry runway doesn't overcome it's brakes. The brakes WILL hold the plane in place at full throttle, which leads me to believe that skidding tires against the resistance is not likely. Assume that the brakes on would be full resistance possible, the plane won't roll.
    It is a stretch, but depending on the theoretical limits of the argument, this is the only way where the answer could be wrong.
    By my rough calculations, the treadmill would have to increase it's speed nearly exponentially through something in the neighborhood of 1000mph, a speed roughly four times what the tires would take before becoming history.
    So if the following impossible situations were possible...
    1) the conveyor belt could accelerate from 0-600 mph in a couple of seconds
    2) the wheel bearings could stay together long enough to provide enough resistance to counter the thrust of the motor
    3) the tires could stay together for the same period
    4) the pilot would be good enough to keep the plane going straight through all of this (you need to assume that all of the wheel assemblies won't offer the same exact resistance, and on an exponential curve, that will make big heading changes
    Then the plane wouldn't be able to leave the ground.
    Any takers?

LUVNLIFE
    That just doesn't fly with me :rollside: :rollside:

JustMVG
    As God is my witness.... a couple of pilots were going over the same friggin thing , one of the guys went over and got a rubber band powered plane started up a treadmill that was there and then now hee is the the fun part WOUND UP THE RUBBER BAND POWERED PROPELLOR then placed the plane on the already moving treadmill, and can you believe it darn toy airplane flew.... all thae damn thing proves is that if you get enough bored pilots around something like this is bound to happen.
    I have seen this thing 50 times and 400 different theories on this subject.... it's so 2005 lets let it go and die and become a thread someone who's had a few pulls it up out of the archives ......

Jordy
    I agree that a plane will take off from a treadmill and the wheels will just be going twice as fast if the treadmill is matching the airspeed of the plane. But none of that is stated in the question.
    It says nothing of airspeed, ground speed, wheel speed, only that that belt will exactly counter the speed of the plane. If it's exactly countering it, the plane isn't moving, therefore, no lift is created and the plane won't fly.

Jbb
    I was quite surprised about the brakes holding at full throttle....I was sure the first time on the run up pad with an A300 or L1011 they would skid a bit......they buck violently... ...and bounce around quite a bit...so much so that it is hard to focus on anything.....but they didnt move...

ratso
    I'm still not satisfied... I don't think it will take off.

Froggystyle
    I agree that a plane will take off from a treadmill and the wheels will just be going twice as fast if the treadmill is matching the airspeed of the plane. But none of that is stated in the question.
    It says nothing of airspeed, ground speed, wheel speed, only that that belt will exactly counter the speed of the plane. If it's exactly countering it, the plane isn't moving, therefore, no lift is created and the plane won't fly.
    Jane, you ignorant slut.
    I am not getting into this. I already stated the only possible method of keeping the plane from flying. And it isn't possible.
    It flies. Period. Everyone has done a great job explaining it, and if you don't figure it out soon, I am going to go side with Miguel.

BajaMike
    I was quite surprised about the brakes holding at full throttle....I was sure the first time on the run up pad with an A300 or L1011 they would skid a bit......they buck violently... ...and bounce around quite a bit...so much so that it is hard to focus on anything.....but they didnt move...
    Take off in a 757 from John Wayne airport....they do it every time....stand on the brakes, power up to full throttle, release the brakes, accelerate like crazy, then rotate and enjoy the steepest climb out you ever will in a commercial jet....It reaches 500 feet before in crosses the end of the runway.
    It's fun, a real e-ticket ride..... :idea:
    :rollside:

Jordy
    And it isn't possible.
    OK, so let's get into the mechanical ramifications of building a treadmill, runway length that will instantaneously accelerate to the exact opposite speed of a plane, be it a Piper, a Lear, or a 747. Doesn't seem all that possible either.

jimslade
    As God is my witness.... a couple of pilots were going over the same friggin thing , one of the guys went over and got a rubber band powered plane started up a treadmill that was there and then now hee is the the fun part WOUND UP THE RUBBER BAND POWERED PROPELLOR then placed the plane on the already moving treadmill, and can you believe it darn toy airplane flew.... all thae damn thing proves is that if you get enough bored pilots around something like this is bound to happen.
    I have seen this thing 50 times and 400 different theories on this subject.... it's so 2005 lets let it go and die and become a thread someone who's had a few pulls it up out of the archives ......
    The prop on the toy airplane is generating the air speed over the wings to generate lift. On a jet airplane the thrust would Never generate enought airflow to allow lift.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast