Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration and slip

StealBlueZ
    Question: I developed a vibration in the driveline and there seems to be a “slip” similar to a slipping clutch on a car. I took the cover off to check the driveshaft, and sure ‘nuff, it was missing a bolt on the flange to the v-drive, and the other three were backing out. So it appears that I found the source. Now for the slipping. All keyways are good from the prop to the motor. Is there a chance the driveshaft may be slipping between the ends where it telescopes?
    thanks,
    randy

DetroitJim
    Nope. Did your rpms really go up or does it just seem different?

GofastRacer
    Unless you have a trans, there's nothing to slip unless the prop is cavitating. Maybe it was the vibration that gave you a slipping sensation!?.

StealBlueZ
    Unless you have a trans, there's nothing to slip unless the prop is cavitating. Maybe it was the vibration that gave you a slipping sensation!?.
    that's exactly what i was thinking, but just wanted to be sure before i put it all back together. I'll double check everything, and put it all back and let you know the results.
    Have a good 4rth and Thanks for the replies!!!!
    randy

Randy make sure you use at least Grade 8 bolts on the driveline with lockwashers as well and I always locktite them too for insurance. That's one thing that can really ruin your weekend if it comes apart.

StealBlueZ
    yea, i picked up pome stainless bolts today. This time, I'm gonna use longer bolts so I can back them up with nuts on the back side of the flange. I got the ruler out and checked the distance, and there's plenty of room.

Hal
    Stainless bolts are not very strong. You may want to do as Rexone said and use #8s.
    [ July 03, 2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

GN117 Big Dawg
    Randy, use ONLY the very best grade 8 fasteners, through Rex or the vendor of your choice,(I get mine through ARP). I not only Loc-Tite them in I also saftey wire them and they are ABSOLUTLY ONLY USED ONCE then dicarded.
    Fasteners only have a ONE USE life cycle, espesially when in the EXTREMLY HARSH application such as HP drive operations. In my race program this is the ONLY answer, it's gospel. Anything less is simply UNACCEPTABLE.
    [ July 03, 2003, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: GN117 Big Dawg ]

GofastRacer
    StealBlueZ:
    yea, i picked up pome stainless bolts today. This time, I'm gonna use longer bolts so I can back them up with nuts on the back side of the flange. I got the ruler out and checked the distance, and there's plenty of room. Take the stainless back and trade them for grade 8's, and if you're going to use nuts on the back side, get "Nylok" JAM nuts!..

DUCKY
    GofastRacer:
    StealBlueZ:
    yea, i picked up pome stainless bolts today. This time, I'm gonna use longer bolts so I can back them up with nuts on the back side of the flange. I got the ruler out and checked the distance, and there's plenty of room. Take the stainless back and trade them for grade 8's, and if you're going to use nuts on the back side, get "Nylok" JAM nuts!.. I second that. Stainless bolts are weaker than even grade 5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast