Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st jet boat

tomcei
    Well I finally got one. 1980 youngblood TX19. I'm tearing into it now. I don't have any experence with jets so I have a few questions. It has 2, 11 gal tanks-Isn't that small? Also pump is a berkley jg12 the impellor is an A. I has a ride plate and a loader. What kind of pwr shoud go in this boat to match?
    Thanks,
    Tom

Flying Sterling
    The more the marrier!500 would be a good starting point.
    Enought to cause some havoc but turn key and respectible.
    I think the new rule on Hot boat is you must post pics with the thread.

QuickJet
    Where you from Tom? Thats a hella of a first boat. Congrats!

tomcei
    Just north of Atlanta. This forum and a local speed shop (pro boat) helped me figure out what I shoud be looking for. I have a friend with a Warhawk 20' tunnel. I can't wait to play. I know more about the off shore boats than jets (that's not saying much). As far as pwr, would a factory merc mtr HP500 work in a jet?
    I was told it was approx 515 hp. I just didn't know about cam profile and what not. Does it really matter?

QuickJet
    Just north of Atlanta. This forum and a local speed shop (pro boat) helped me figure out what I shoud be looking for. I have a friend with a Warhawk 20' tunnel. I can't wait to play. I know more about the off shore boats than jets (that's not saying much). As far as pwr, would a factory merc mtr HP500 work in a jet?
    I was told it was approx 515 hp. I just didn't know about cam profile and what not. Does it really matter?
    I'm not too familiar with the HP500. If it has a stout bottom end (steel crank, forged pistons etc,) it's probably a good choice. If the motor was set up for an outdrive, then you'd probably want to swap out the cam to something a bit more jet orientated. And yes, see what the profile is. You can never know "too much" about your engine.
    And get some pics!!!!

DelawareDave
    I think you screwed up big time! Your life and your bank account, not to mention your sanity, will all go downhill from now on! Don't ask how I know!

atxwrangler
    I think you screwed up big time! Your life and your bank account, not to mention your sanity, will all go downhill from now on! Don't ask how I know!
    l.m.f.a.o.! aint that the truth!

tomcei
    Believe me I know what your saying Dave.
    This is # 2 boat and my wifes not real happy. I can't drop a mtr in untill the kitchen counters are installed

tomcei
    One more pic of boat #2 It looked better before I stripped it down. :cry:
    The Pantera is #1
    Also a pic of my friends 20' warhawk

Ken F
    Well I finally got one. 1980 youngblood TX19. I'm tearing into it now. I don't have any experence with jets so I have a few questions. It has 2, 11 gal tanks-Isn't that small? Also pump is a berkley jg12 the impellor is an A. I has a ride plate and a loader. What kind of pwr shoud go in this boat to match?
    Thanks,
    Tom
    Well now aren't you going to have fun!! LOL As mentioned before, if the engine you are thinking of was from an Out-drive, the cam is probably going to be quite a bit wrong for a jetboat. You need to think torque, pulling truck kind of torque! You're going to have a water dyno hooked to it consistantly if you think about it. 500 hp would be good for your first year or two, get used to the boat. No matter how much you have though, it's never going to be enough......
    Maybe some people running this kind of hull could post up some #'s for you on what kind of RPM to expect turning an "A" Berk with 500 hp. That would help you greatly in selecting which cam to run.
    Ken F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast