Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's The California Law Or Work Tickets?

WetWillie
    Hey guys I have a dumb question. What is the Law or Rule on dropping your Sand Car off to a shop for work? Do they need to give you an estimate for the work and ask your permission or can they do an open ticket and suprise you when you go and pay the bill!
    Does anything need to be in writing?? I know that when I drop my car off at the dealer they call me and give me an estimate.. Confussed!
    I was told the hourly rates on the blank work order but was never told a estimated cost to do the work. I just want to clear my mind on this?
    What if you dropped off your car for some work. You were quoted hourly rates expected a quote so you had some kind of idea of the costs but you never got it. Later you find out the work has been performed.
    When you go to pay the bill its double what your were expecting but you were never given any option to say no to the price!!!
    Thoughts?

scooooter7
    Should be discussed UP FRONT!! That way there is no surprises.

wsuwrhr
    My feeling is if they aren't a BAR repair shop, they probably don't have to.
    Is there a problem with the service you recieved?
    A car is a clear issue, it is the law that they have to disclose any and all costs, and have to notify you of anything above and beyond.
    Brian

bonesfab
    The problem is that there is no guidelines on hot rod or modified stuff. There is no "book" to quote the job from. Aftermarket stuff is just that. One size fits nothing. If it was for a basic oil change, yes they should be able to quote it. But if its there to fix whats wrong, its anybodys guess. just my opinion.

wsuwrhr
    Of the shops I build parts for, I know the custumer is able to say, "I want to know if the bill goes over XXXamount"
    Brian
    Hey guys I have a dumb question. What is the Law or Rule on dropping your Sand Car off to a shop for work? Do they need to give you an estimate for the work and ask your permission or can they do an open ticket and suprise you when you go and pay the bill!
    Does anything need to be in writing?? I know that when I drop my car off at the dealer they call me and give me an estimate.. Confussed!
    I was told the hourly rates on the blank work order but was never told a estimated cost to do the work. I just want to clear my mind on this?
    What if you dropped off your car for some work. You were quoted hourly rates expected a quote so you had some kind of idea of the costs but you never got it. Later you find out the work has been performed.
    When you go to pay the bill its double what your were expecting but you were never given any option to say no to the price!!!
    Thoughts?

WetWillie
    Wired in an EFI system on a rhino. Wireing harness for a Motec maybe 15 wires. Pick up and injector had wires just needed to be spliced. All in all I was thinking 8 to 10 hr job. They charged me 24 hrs. To wire a fricking Rhino!
    Also charged me 4 hrs to plumb 6 gas lines. 7 ft total!
    Shop rate was $125 an hour!!!!
    Can you say cornhole!

73kona455
    Wired in an EFI system on a rhino. Wireing harness for a Motec maybe 15 wires. Pick up and injector had wires just needed to be spliced. All in all I was thinking 8 to 10 hr job. They charged me 24 hrs. To wire a fricking Rhino!
    Also charged me 4 hrs to plumb 6 gas lines. 7 ft total!
    Shop rate was $125 an hour!!!!
    Can you say cornhole!
    did u get any vasaline with this job?

wsuwrhr
    Bummer, next time I could recommend somewhere else to go.
    $125/hour is up there.
    Including dyno testing after the computer mods.
    Brian

Kindsvater Flat
    I have the same problem. Dropped my motor off a the machine shop so they can figure out what errored and specifying "The minute it costs me money, STOP!" Well my first call they said they ground the crank, $85 bucks. Next time I call back to see what they found and its up to $350. I will be talking to the owner first before I call BAR to see if we can work this out. If not I will be calling BAR for unauthorized work. To top it off a RO was never filled out when I dropped it off. It was there only for a visual inspection. Although curiousity got me why they were so quick to do the machining.

WetWillie
    They were supposed to Dyno it today... Had a friend drive from Pheonix because I have apointment and the rhino has a custom clutc in it. He knows how to adjust it. They never got it on the dyno! Took it home. When I spoke to the tuner today and he said this may take all day at $250 and hr I said no way and pulled it out. Goes to another shop for a flat rate deal!
    LUBE would have been nice!
    Bummer, next time I could recommend somewhere else to go.
    $125/hour is up there.
    Including dyno testing after the computer mods.
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast