Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: double keyways on crank?

Infomaniac
    How much for shipping? 92544 area code. I would have to ship the crank and balencer.
    My area code is 74115. BBC cranks are about 85 lbs?

TIMINATOR
    A single stock key on a BBC will work to about 9 Lbs. with a 6 or 8-71, no problems. To do your deal, just replace the stock crank key with an alloy/ hardened one. Pioneer sells them as a PK-9 for the stock and a PK-9A for the alloy key. Then it will work fine to 16-17 lbs. boost. The guys that are shearing them off usually have strip-sealed 6 or 8-71s or have backfire problems on startup, and that will wallow out the keyway just a bit everytime that it happens until the key finally shears. If the key shears cleanly then it was just a stock key- too much boost issue. We are a dealer for most blower companies, and have a full machine shop here too. Make an appointment, and go have lunch or take the Missus shopping and your crank will be keyed any way you want it by the time you get back here! We are in Avondale,AZ. just off of I-10, easy to find! TIMM

That looks a lot bigger than a 1/4" keyway to me.
    now I know why he wears an open helmet and googles. There is no gettin a closed helmet over that, and closing a face shield is totally out of the question

MAXIMUS
    now I know why he wears an open helmet and googles. There is no gettin a closed helmet over that, and closing a face shield is totally out of the question
    Is your boat running yet??? Mine is totally jacked up...

lilrick
    HEHE you got a big honker!!

Moose
    Been there done that!. I have a 5.5lb boost blower motor that I spun the balancer on. A buddy of mine has a similar motor and has never had a problem with one key.. My pump came unloaded and it zinged the motor. The balancer spun 8 degs. I went to change the Distributor bronze gear for a new one and when I retimed the motor it was 8 deg advanced and I didn't know it. Well you guest it... two burned pistons. Cost= hone block, new pistons, rings, bearings, fix crank, rebalance, AND have dampner double keyed!!. Total= $$$$.$$
    Moose

79centurion
    Moose, did your keyway break, or just the outer part of the balancer spin, and not the inner? Sounds like the outer just spun. I figured when you break a keyway, it is going to spin alot more than 8 degrees.
    Dan

moose's problem is the biggest reason why you need to double key and use a sfi damper. It is not the horsepower problem, it is inertia. if the motor gets loose and revs up quick enough, then the boat comes back in the water and the r's drop just suddenly, look out, that ring on the damper weighs quite a bit. If it doesn't come loose of the hub, then bet that single key will be history.

MAXIMUS
    I am assuming you are talking about a harmonic dampener. On my set up I am only using a blower drive flange. No dampner! Maybe that is the difference. I would agree that with a dampner it might spin itself right off! You might say I got a nose for this kinda thing!

hey big gay jesus dude, there is no "N" in damper. A dampner is the little wet spounge the teller at the bank uses to to "dampen" her fingers before she counts out all $125.00 of you pay check. If you don't know what you're talking about, stay in the v drive section or ask someone who knows.LIKE YOUR DRIVER.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast